Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Plan Never Runs

Bill Langton September 4, 2015

EDITED:  Updated after more research.

Build was working fine on Aug 27th.  Got the Elastic Bamboo Error shown below on the 31st.  

Since then, the elastic instance starts but the build never runs.  From the log on the "Manage Elastic Instances" page:

Sep 4, 2015 3:16:11 PM Currently there are no agents that can build: MV-MB-JOB1. New elastic instance(s) will be started (providing the configuration allows it).
Sep 4, 2015 3:16:12 PM 1 elastic instance(s) will be started for those builds that cannot be build on currently connected agents.
Sep 4, 2015 3:16:13 PM Requested that new elastic instance be created for configuration: Windows Bamboo Agent / ami-abc2a1ce
Sep 4, 2015 3:16:13 PM Spot Instance request [sir-02e83hjk] has been placed.
Sep 4, 2015 3:18:55 PM Elastic instance [i-905d9333] transitioned from BIDDING to IDENTIFIED.
Sep 4, 2015 3:19:35 PM Elastic instance [i-905d9333] transitioned from IDENTIFIED to RUNNING.
Sep 4, 2015 3:25:24 PM An elastic agent is loading on instance: [i-905d9333]

The image is for a windows instance.  The agent is the Default Windows Agent.  

The JDK  in the config is 1.6.0. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Elastic Bamboo Error : Failed on updating stock images ami-963b56fe,ami-963b56fe; expected 0 or 1 stock images for windows - x86_64 - EBS on region US_EAST_1. 

(java.lang.IllegalArgumentException : Failed on updating stock images ami-963b56fe,ami-963b56fe; expected 0 or 1 stock images for windows - x86_64 - EBS on region US_EAST_1. )

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Failed on updating stock images ami-963b56fe,ami-963b56fe; expected 0 or 1 stock images for windows - x86_64 - EBS on region US_EAST_1. 
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.elastic.server.ElasticImageConfigurationManagerImpl.updateOrCreateImageData(ElasticImageConfigurationManagerImpl.java:257)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.elastic.server.ElasticImageConfigurationManagerImpl.updateDefaultElasticImageConfiguration(ElasticImageConfigurationManagerImpl.java:196)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.container.BambooContainer.start(BambooContainer.java:263)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.UpgradeLauncher.upgradeAndStartBamboo(UpgradeLauncher.java:153)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.upgrade.UpgradeLauncher.contextInitialized(UpgradeLauncher.java:41)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4205)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4704)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:799)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:779)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:601)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:675)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:601)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:502)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1315)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:324)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:142)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1061)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:840)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:463)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:525)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2015

Hi, Bill.

Your instances are using JDK 1.6 only? 

Due to a recent update, the agents in the instances require JDK8 and JAVA_HOME correctly set to this installation, otherwise they won't start and the builds won't run. This is the bug report:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-16291

Installing JDK8 and setting the variable should fix it.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

Bill Langton September 4, 2015

Hi - I thought that might be the case. I've installed JDK 8 and was just looking at what variables need to be set to pick up the new version. Thanks!

andrew_pye September 8, 2015

Apologies if this is obvious, but how do we install JDK8 and set the environment variable for this AMI (ami-963b56fe), given that it's an Atlassian-owned image? Or is there an alternative, working image we can switch to instead? Thanks!

Bill Langton September 8, 2015

Look under Bamboo Administration - Image Configurations. There is a Windows Stock Image and a Windows Bamboo Agent. The image you have referenced is the Stock Image. I see 3 versions of the Stock Image on my Config page. Two are disabled. The most recent has JDK8 installed. The only way that I see to tell them apart is to click on the Capabilities link. The Bamboo Agent, for us, is a server that we set up. I needed to install JDK8 on that server. You need to launch the EC2 image, remote into the machine, install JDK8 (from the oracle site), and then set JAVA_HOME. It's a Windows ENV Variable. Right click Computer - Properties - Advanced Settings - Environment Variables. Before terminating that instance, create a new image and then update the Bamboo Agent settings to point to the new instance.

Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2015

Hi, Bill. So, did that fix the problem? If so, could you mark that this answer as correct? This way other users will know. Hi, Andy. When you say that it's an 'Atlassian-owned image', do you mean that this is a stock image? If so, you should not be affected by this problem, because all stock images were modified to use JDK8. If you're using a customized image, even if it was customized from a stock image, you should do as Bill said, install and change the variable. If it's not a Windows instance, you'll need to change some file to have the variable be set system-wide to the right place.

Hi Jaime, Just completed the configuration and testing this morning. I have marked the answer as correct. Thanks, Bill

andrew_pye September 8, 2015

Thanks for the help Bill, I'll give that a go. It just seems a shame that Atlassian's changes break their system and it's up to the user to fix it - to me it seems like Atlassian should at least provide a base working stock image.

0 votes

I had to enable the most recent stock image which had JDK8 installled.

image2015-9-8 9:33:52.png

Then I had to update our Windows Bamboo Agent by installing JDK8 and setting the JAVA_HOME ENV variable to point to the new JDK.  Save the image.  Edit the Bamboo Agent and plug in the new AMI ID.

image2015-9-8 9:56:11.png

This did fix the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events