Branch updater not working

Link Lee September 15, 2017

So I have set up a branch updater for a branch plan to update the related feature branch automatically whenever there's a new commit to my master branch. However, after I made a commit to the master branch, the branch plan didn't build by itself, nor was the feature branch updated.

Only if I run the build of the branch plan manually after this, the feature branch will be updated.

BTW, the gatekeeper worked well.

I see an open issue about this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-12646

So I'm guessing this is a bug of Bamboo. (I'm using version 6.1.0)

The workaround it mentioned didn't work for me. So I'd like to know if there's a better workaround than setting up a schedule to trigger all the feature branch plans every 15 minutes?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2017

Branch updater is another preparation task Bamboo executes before starting plan. It allows you to be confident changes pushed to your branch still compatible with master. As you already mentioned there's BAM-12646 to extend this functionality and trigger feature branch build on master branch commit.

It might start wave of builds if you have hundreds of feature branches which will be executed on every commit to master.

Link Lee September 17, 2017

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your answer!

We delete our branches on merging them to the master, so we don't have many long lived branches. The performance wouldn't be a problem.

Is there a workaround to make the feature branches integrate new commits on the master branch, and to create a pull request when there's a conflict?

Thanks!

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2017

As workaround you can create plan which will trigger plan branches when commit to master happens by REST

get list of all plan branches
BAMBOO_URL/rest/api/latest/search/branches?masterPlanKey=NEW-CORE

POST BAMBOO_URL/rest/api/latest/queue/NEW-CORE1
POST BAMBOO_URL/rest/api/latest/queue/NEW-CORE5

Link Lee September 19, 2017

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. By the way, my Bitbucket doesn't create pull request automatically when I use branch updater with a conflict between my master branch and feature branch. Is this also an expected behavior?

Please refer to https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/automatic-branch-merging-776639993.html

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2017

I don't know why it doesn't create PR, you might add some tags to your question to make it visible on Bitbucket Server team radar.

Link Lee September 19, 2017

Got it! Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events