Bamboo with ZIP installation - Run (as Windows service) with 64bit JDK?

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

Hello everybody

Is it possible to run a 4.x.x or 5.x.x ZIP Bamboo version (not the installer) with a 64bit JDK?

I couldn't find a clear answer to that in the documentation or anywhere else. Sorry if I should have overlooked it.

The installation and upgrade documentation doesn't really mention a specific Java version (32bit/64bit) but unlike e.g. Stash, I only see one tomcat7.exe in the bin folder (32bit?)

Is it possible to run with the 64bit JDK anyway and if so, what do I have to do different to get it working?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2013

I finally had the time to test it out and finally got it working. Just posting here what I had to to in case anyone else runs into the same problems:

We are using Bamboo 5.2 (build4003), Win Server 2012 (64bit) and Java 7 (jdk1.7.0_45). Installing the service was no problem. But when trying to start it, I got an "error 1". Windows Event logs only showed this messag: The Apache Tomcat Bamboo service terminated with the following service-specific error:
Incorrect function.

• I removed the service
  • Checked which version of Tomcat Bamboo used (version.bat in the bin folder)
  • Went to http://tomcat.apache.org/ and downloaded the Win64bit zip file of the Tomcat version I got when running version.bat
  • Extracted the archive and replaced the tomcat7.exe and tcnative-1.dll files (both located in the bin directory) in the bamboo folder with the ones from the archive I just downloaded and extracted. You might want to make backup copies of the old files before replacing them.
  • Reinstalled the service
  • Run the service without any problems
Sushant Nautiyal May 14, 2018

Thanks Raffael.

I faced the same issue while installing Bamboo 6.4.1.

It solved the issue.

0 votes
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013

I knew we had this issue with JIRA and probably Stash long time ago as documented in this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Problems+Installing+JIRA+as+a+Service+on+Windows+64bit but this has been resolved by now. Give it a try and if you face problem with the service installation, lets us know and we will investigate further

0 votes
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013

Hi Yuk,

Yes you can run Bamboo 4.x or 5.x on 64bit JDK and this will work on smoothly. We have not recieved any complain about that yet. Bamboo allows usage of both 32 or 64 bit JDK

Elvir Hadzic
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2013

Thank you very much! So, I don't need to replace the tomcat7.exe with a special 64 bit version like I have to with Stash?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events