Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo tag triggers multiple plan branches

oscarmateu January 18, 2023

Hello everyone,

I have a bamboo plan with several branches and a triggering tag configuration like this .*$ for all of them (=any tag triggers the execution). The moment I create a tag in the repository, the plan is executed for all branches instead of the branch where the commit with the assigned tag is. But the most curious thing about the case is that all branches use the same git branch, even having other branches assigned. I.E.

Plan for X with tag triggering .*$

• Bamboo Branch DEV uses git repository X branch dev
  • Bamboo Branch Release uses git repository X branch release

Then I commit changes into repository X branch dev and after I create a tag and assign it to this commit. What happens is:

• Bamboo Branch DEV is executed using git repository X branch dev (which is correct)
  • Bamboo Branch Release is executed git repository X branch dev (which I don't want to start, and additionally, is using a wrong source code branch)

Any idea how to prevent all the plan branches being executed when a tad is used in a particular git branch?

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2023

Hey @oscarmateu,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Can you confirm if you are following this workflow?

1. Create branch
  2. Commit to the files
  3. Add a Tag
  4. Push Tag

If you are skipping #2, the tag may be shared between the "old branch" and the branch you had just created, making Bamboo trigger multiple builds that still refer to the last revision that the tag is linked to.

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

--please don't forget to Accept the answer if the reply is helpful-- 

oscarmateu January 20, 2023

Hi Eduardo,

yes, I do it exactly as you described.

Thanks

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2023

Hey @oscarmateu

If the Git revision is unique, Bamboo should consider the tag and only trigger that specific Plan branch as it will be only part of that revision. Could it be the case that the Plan Branch you are referring to is actually pointing to the "release" branch instead of the expected "dev" branch?

Please review the Plan branch setup by selecting the Plan Branch configuration >> Repositories and make sure that the selected Branch matches the desired Branch you want to trigger the build from.

Kind regards,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

--please don't forget to Accept the answer if the reply is helpful-- 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events