Bamboo support for PostgreSQL 9.6?

Helen July 7, 2022

I'm planning an upgrade of all my Atlassian software, and obviously need to upgrade PostgreSQL at the same time.

Currently Bamboo 6.8.1 is connected to a PostgreSQL 9.6 database which also houses the rest of databases for the Atlassian tools.

When checking the supported versions, I can see that Bamboo 8.0 supports PostgreSQL 9.6, however versions 8.1 and 8.2 do not list it as supported. There is no notice that this version is deprecated.

Does anyone know definitively if Bamboo 8.2 supports PostgreSQL 9.6?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2022

Hello @Helen,

Bamboo 8.2 only supports PostgreSQL releases version 10.0 and later. For a complete list of compatible database versions please check the following page:

Kind regards,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

Helen July 10, 2022

Thanks Eduardo, that does answer my question.

As a follow up, could you please tell me why PostgreSQL 9.6 went from supported in Bamboo 8.0 to unsupported in 8.1 and 8.2 without being deprecated first?

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2022

Hi @Helen

PostgreSQL 9.6 was "EOLed" by the PostgreSQL Global Development Group on 11/11/2021. For that reason, Bamboo had ended its support on that date.

There is no strict policy on how long before a planned EOL a dependency component should be set as deprecated. Meaning that, for some products such as a database, we tend to support it for as long as possible, up to the last day.

If you are considering upgrading your PostgreSQL version, we advise you to move to version 11 or later as version 10 will have its final release on 10/11/2022.

Sincerely,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC 

Helen July 11, 2022

Thanks Eduardo.

I was planning to move to PostgreSQL 11. It was just a matter of how many steps I needed. In this case Bamboo will have to go to 8.0 then upgrade PostgreSQL to 11, then upgrade Bamboo to 8.2.

Like Eduardo Alvarenga likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events