Bamboo plan with a variable which depends on another variable, it works in some circumstances

David Portabella March 2, 2014

I have a bamboo plan with a maven task. I need to pass a maven parameter with the name of the branch.

I can use the variable ${bamboo.repository.branch.name} for this.

However, I need to override this value for some branches (see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/267198/bamboo-variable-regex).

So, in my bamboo plan I define a variable called "branchName", with value "${bamboo.repository.branch.name}".

then, my maven task uses ${bamboo.branchName}, and the branches can override the "branchName" value when neceserary.

So, is this possible? can my bamboo plan variable "branchName" use another variable "${bamboo.repository.branch.name}" as default value?

Well, I tried, and the result is unclear.

If my maven task is:

mvn verify -B -Dsonar.branch=${bamboo.branchName}

this does not work. it executes mvn verify -B -Dsonar.branch=${bamboo.repository.branch.name}

However,

If my maven task is:

mvn verify -B -Dsonar.branch=${bamboo.branchName} -Dignore_var=${bamboo.repository.branch.name}

then ${bamboo.branchName} gets substituted as expected,

and it executes mvn verify -B -Dsonar.branch=develop -Dignore_var=develop

Why is that? Is this a bug or a feature?

So, how to achieve this correctly?

that is, I need a bamboo plan variable "branchName" with a default value of "${bamboo.repository.branch.name}",

which can be overridden by branch plans.

2 answers

0 votes
David Portabella March 3, 2014

thanks, we'll try that.

0 votes
Jason Monsorno
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

You may want to try the nested plugin. That way you could set a variable to "${bamboo.repository.branch.name}" but when evaluated it will give you the value of the inner variable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events