Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo never forgets a Bitbucket branch deletion (but it should upon a re-creation of that branch)

guy moore July 8, 2016

Over the past year, people have periodically complained of their branch build plan disappearing willy-nilly; the build plan was building yesterday, and today it's gone, yet their Bitbucket branch still exists.

Although, I felt like it had to do with the user potentially having deleted the branch previously and then re-creating it, I had no real proof, of which product (Bitbucket or Bamboo) that was driving this willy-nilly branch plan deletion process.

Perusing the postgres database, I see that this table, "vcs_branch", holds a record of every single Bitbucket branch that ever existed that Bamboo has been notified about (or personally polled Bitbucket for).

It has a column, "detected_deletion_date", which is either blank (because that Bitbucket branch still exists), or has a timestamp value of when that Bitbucket branch was deleted.

The problem is that when a user re-creates that same branch on Bitbucket, Bamboo does not change the "detected_deletion_date" value to "null". So in, say 14 days, the setting that we have in Bamboo of how many days to delete a build plan after a Bitbucket branch removal, the Bamboo build plan will be removed. If user then re-creates that Bamboo branch build plan after seeing that it is missing, that branch plan will be removed the next day at 2:00 AM, and the next day at 2:00 AM, etc.

Users occasionally remove a Bitbucket branch, cause we like being tidy around here, but then days/weeks/months, the user may recreate that same branch name in Bitbucket (accepting the default name as when generated by JIRA) cause they want to either begin work on that bug, or continue to do more work on that bug or because they like the name of that branch. 

So it's part of our process here, to recreate Bitbucket branches with the same name.

Bamboo needs to accommodate this possibility.

(i'd log this as a bug, but maybe there's a reasonable explanation of why Bamboo wants to never forget.)

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2016

It is the wrong solution for a problem. I believe Bamboo tries to be too smart here. The motivation probably comes from keeping the storage allocations small for systems where you never delete branches in (Git) repositories.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events