Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo java.lang.NullPointerException: Builder path is not defined

Frederick Bass September 20, 2012

I am getting this exception during my build of a java project. I am using Ant 1.8.2 and have ANT_HOME enviornment variable set as well as %ANT_HOME%\bin on my Path environment variable. I'm using Windows 2008 R2. How is this bug resolved?

java.lang.NullPointerException: Builder path is not defined at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:204) at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.ant.task.AntConfig.<init>(AntConfig.java:66) at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.ant.task.AntBuildTask.execute(AntBuildTask.java:64) at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.executeTasks(TaskExecutorImpl.java:183) at com.atlassian.bamboo.task.TaskExecutorImpl.execute(TaskExecutorImpl.java:91) at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.tasks.ExecuteBuildTask.call(ExecuteBuildTask.java:85) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor608.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:304) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:182) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149) at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateInterceptor.invoke(HibernateInterceptor.java:117) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171) at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171) at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204) at $Proxy722.call(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor608.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:304) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:182) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149) at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateInterceptor.invoke(HibernateInterceptor.java:117) at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171) at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204) at $Proxy723.call(Unknown Source) at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent.build(DefaultBuildAgent.java:204) at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.BuildAgentControllerImpl.waitAndPerformBuild(BuildAgentControllerImpl.java:103) at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.build.agent.DefaultBuildAgent$1.run(DefaultBuildAgent.java:109) at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.concurrent.NamedThreadFactory$2.run(NamedThreadFactory.java:52) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

4 answers

0 votes
Michael Trostle April 6, 2018

Suggestion above: "Faced same issue, but with Maven 3 on local build agent. Fixed by removing Maven 3 task and creating again same. Another fix - just open task and save it.

How to reproduce issue: change path to Maven 3 executable at server capabilities, it would break all existing tasks based on that builder."

I agree that opening and saving works sometimes, other times I had to create an exact duplicate of the current Maven 3.X task and delete the old one and it worked.  It's apparently a bug that's been seen since version 5.6, I am seeing the issue on version 6.4.0.  I don't know that it effects every task based on the builder, but I can't completely confirm otherwise as well. 

0 votes
bgreen-dt April 12, 2016

I ran into this today as well when I was setting up some new agents. Frederick's suggestion of deleting and re-creating all Maven steps in the plan worked to fix it. 

Later I discovered that disabling the task, running the build, and re-enabling the task worked as well. 

0 votes
Apt Team - Ramya Arvind June 4, 2015

Faced same issue, but with Maven 3 on local build agent. Fixed by removing Maven 3 task and creation again same. Another fix - just open task and save it.

How to reproduce issue: change path to Maven 3 executable at server capabilities, it would break all existing tasks based on that builder.

0 votes
ArmenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2012

Hi Freddy,

Are you using local or remote agents to build your plan? Can you please confirm that you have ANT executable configured with a correct path for your Bamboo server as per this document and that you have the ANT capability configured for the agent that runs your plan?

If you still confront the same problem, please open a support ticket and provide your Bamboo server log file, plan key of the problematic plan, and screenshots of your Ant executable configuration and ANT task configuration pages. What is the problematic plan key?

Cheers,
Armen

Frederick Bass September 23, 2012

I was using local agent to do this. Ant was configured properly. The workaround for me was to delete the build plan and create a new one. I don't see the exception anymore.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events