Bamboo git submodule support confirmation

sspeers November 23, 2017
I have had some failed attempts to utilise git submodules in my git project. The repository is classified as a BitBucket one with submodules checked in advanced. The logs in the build however read as "host key verification failed". I have tried configuring ssh keys on the Windows remote agent (running as a service) and can correctly execute git submodule update on the server directly using git bash logged in as that user.
Then I came across this older post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Does-Bamboo-support-Git-submodules/qaq-p/560044 which suggests that the support is limited in bamboo for submodules.

Currently we are adopting the multiple repository checkout approach as a work around but some of my colleagues prefer to use submodules. Can Atlassian confirm whether Bamboo support for git submodules has improved and if so in what version?

Alternatively it seems to me that the Bamboo agent is not correctly mapping its ssh keys at build time during a repository checkout. Is there something I'm missing?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
sspeers November 23, 2017

I've fixed this up by correctly setting up the HOME directory in the agent boxes. It would be nice to know if Atlassian every plan on adding more support for submodules in the future. 

Mark Burvill April 4, 2018

I'm getting the same issue. Can you clarify what you mean by setting up the home directory in the agent boxes?

0 votes
Jerome Durand March 1, 2018

I'm just leaving a note here if someone comes up with a similar problem as I spent a lot of time figuring it out.

I had a similar issue when running the remote as a service but with a different fix: 

When the Service ("Bamboo Remote Agent") is created, it is created as the "Local System" user, instead you need to change it to your PC account user (the one that Git is linked to).

To do this just go to Windows Task Manager in the Services tab and on the "Services..." button in the bottom.

Right click on the "Bamboo Remote Agent" service and select Properties then in the "Log On" tab Log on as: this account...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events