Bamboo for multiple customization with single code base

m_vibeeshan June 10, 2017

We have built a thick client application with multiple customization (For multiple clients) using one code base. Our customer specific customization are done by changing some XML files, Images and adding additional DLLs.

Previously we had a build script (written in power shell) console app. This is how we have designed the build script.

1. There are XML files specific for every customer. The XML file will contains the path to the folder containing customization (Images, XMLs files), Name of the Solution file, and a description.
  2. The Solution file will hold the common projects files (DLLs) and customer specific project files (DLLs).
  3. When we want to make a release we will open the build script and the build script will ask for the XML file specific for the customer.
  4. Then the build script will read the XML file and make a build and a Setup.exe according the the information in the XML.
  5. This strategy required a very less amount of work when we make a customization for a new client and also a change in the core script will automatically reflect in all other customization. (example upgrading the setup software to other one).
  6. We have non technical members in our team (Non tech QA). If he wants to make a release to client or needs a version, we have created a simple web interface listing all customization and once he clicks that, it will run this script and give a final EXE to him.

Now I am trying to achieve this in Bamboo. Without repeating the work.

Can I create a common plan for all of my customization. Otherwise I have to change the plan to all other plans when there is a change or a bug. I don't wan't to create one plan and clone others from that as its not effective to our work plan.

Some people have recommended me to use variables (I still don't know how to use), Can a non technical member without admin rights change the variable and make a release specific for a client. (If i have to go with this path)

1 answer

1 vote
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2017

With Bamboo Specs (available in Bamboo 6.0) you can manage that all complexity programatically and create as many plans as you need without needing to clone them.

m_vibeeshan June 11, 2017

Thanks, I will check the "Bamboo Specs" feature

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events