Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo failing to checkout git repository, "Permission denied, fatal: unable to fork"

a October 8, 2012

I'm trying out Bamboo (4.2.1 build 3213) and attempting to get my first build running. We use an internally hosted git repo, authentication is done via private key SSH. When trying to run the build I get a "Permission denied, fatal: unable to fork" error. I've tried running the shell script that it mentions in the stacktrace manually, using the bamboo user, and it runs fine. Any ideas?

Error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.GitCommandException: command [/usr/bin/git, ls-remote, ssh://1438ab9c-01a7-4199-9dc1-0324f584912d@127.0.0.1:53982/services/projectName] failed with code 128. Working directory was [.]., stderr:
[fatal: cannot exec '/tmp/bamboo-ssh.9900a68e.sh': Permission denied, fatal: unable to fork]
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.rerun(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:119)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.runTask(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:79)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.retry(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:174)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager.collectionChangesWithRetry(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:389)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager.collectChangesSinceLastBuild(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:260)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager.collectChangesSinceRevisions(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:218)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager.collectChangesSinceRevisions(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:136)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager.collectChangesSinceLastBuildIfTriggered(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:113)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.ChangeDetectionListenerAction.process(ChangeDetectionListenerAction.java:100)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainExecutionManagerImpl$1$1.createBuildDetectionResult(ChainExecutionManagerImpl.java:176)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainExecutionManagerImpl.createNewChainState(ChainExecutionManagerImpl.java:379)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainExecutionManagerImpl.access$000(ChainExecutionManagerImpl.java:93)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainExecutionManagerImpl$1.getChainState(ChainExecutionManagerImpl.java:172)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainExecutionManagerImpl.tryStartChainState(ChainExecutionManagerImpl.java:252)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.chains.ChainExecutionManagerImpl.start(ChainExecutionManagerImpl.java:167)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor768.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:304)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:182)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:149)
    at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
    at $Proxy78.start(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor768.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:304)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:198)
    at $Proxy79.start(Unknown Source)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.PlanExecutionManagerImpl$2.call(PlanExecutionManagerImpl.java:288)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.PlanExecutionManagerImpl$2.call(PlanExecutionManagerImpl.java:282)
    at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ManagedLocks$ManagedLockImpl.withLock(ManagedLocks.java:324)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.PlanExecutionLockServiceImpl.lock(PlanExecutionLockServiceImpl.java:77)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.PlanExecutionManagerImpl.doWithProcessLock(PlanExecutionManagerImpl.java:429)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.PlanExecutionManagerImpl.start(PlanExecutionManagerImpl.java:281)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.NonBlockingPlanExecutionServiceImpl$1.call(NonBlockingPlanExecutionServiceImpl.java:70)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plan.NonBlockingPlanExecutionServiceImpl$1.call(NonBlockingPlanExecutionServiceImpl.java:61)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.build.pipeline.concurrent.NamedThreadFactory$2.run(NamedThreadFactory.java:52)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.GitCommandException: command [/usr/bin/git, ls-remote, ssh://1438ab9c-01a7-4199-9dc1-0324f584912d@127.0.0.1:53982/services/projectName] failed with code 128. Working directory was [.]., stderr:
[fatal: cannot exec '/tmp/bamboo-ssh.9900a68e.sh': Permission denied, fatal: unable to fork]
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.GitCommandProcessor.runCommand(GitCommandProcessor.java:356)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.GitCommandProcessor.getRemoteRefs(GitCommandProcessor.java:282)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.NativeGitOperationHelper.resolveBranch(NativeGitOperationHelper.java:438)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.NativeGitOperationHelper.obtainLatestRevision(NativeGitOperationHelper.java:514)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.GitRepository.collectChangesSinceLastBuild(GitRepository.java:209)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager$1.call(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:393)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.v2.trigger.DefaultChangeDetectionManager$1.call(DefaultChangeDetectionManager.java:390)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.executor.RetryingTaskExecutor.rerun(RetryingTaskExecutor.java:100)
    ... 44 more
Caused by: com.atlassian.utils.process.ProcessException: Non-zero exit code: 128
    at com.atlassian.utils.process.PluggableProcessHandler.complete(PluggableProcessHandler.java:83)
    at com.atlassian.utils.process.ExternalProcess.finish(ExternalProcess.java:376)
    at com.atlassian.utils.process.ExternalProcess.execute(ExternalProcess.java:419)
    at com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.git.GitCommandProcessor.runCommand(GitCommandProcessor.java:351)
    ... 51 more

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
a October 10, 2012

After help from Atlassian, this was fixed by not using the system /usr/bin/git and instead switching to the built-in JGit implementation.

Vandan Phadke May 12, 2016

How can we configure that ?

0 votes
jacoblee November 16, 2014

I major in java barcode program,I have met a similiar problem when configuring Bamboo CI server but i have solved it successfully.You can try the following method to see if it work out.

You can login into your elastic instance, switch your user to the user that bamboo is running with (bamboo), then try to make the dir that you specified. Probably it is a restricted path.

Basically: find SSH key and ip of bamboo instance, login, then:

su bamboo

mkdir /home/bamboo/myapp/portalogue/target/portalogue1/WEB-INF/classes/com/xti/portalogue/application/db/hibernate

Or before that you can just login into the bamboo/elastic instance and execute the maven target on your own with the -eX switch and check what kind of detailed error message it gives you.

0 votes
Ted Sheibar January 16, 2013

Yes, I second that -- we had the same issue and /tmp was a mount point that had 'noexec' set, as such:

[root@server tmp]# mount | grep tmp
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Note the 'noexec' in bold.

Bamboo proxies ssh requests through a script within the /tmp directory, so if the /tmp mount doesn't allow scripts to be run, then this error occurs.

If this the case with your setup, then to fix it, ensure that your /etc/fstab defines the /tmp mount similar to:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01/tmp ext3 nodev 1

Then just reboot your box, run the plan, and you should be good. At least, that worked for me.

0 votes
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Hi Adam,

Might it be that your /tmp directory has no execution permissions? Like it is some kind of mount point set with "noexec" flag for security reasons?

I understand that you are currently using jGit implementation and this was old question, but I thought I'll anyway leave here a note in case somebody else hit the same problem in future...

regards,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events