Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo - cancel deployment actions

jvelapol June 27, 2017

We have deployment plans (NOT BUILD PLANS!) that a user may want to cancel for whatever reason.  When the user presses the cancel button, there doesn't appear any way to capture that fact during the Deployment process.  We'd like to then do something after a user cancels a deployment.  For background, we have a custom-made deployment mechanism that handles deployments asynchronously.  Namely:

1. Send Deployment product to server
  2. Poll server endpoing to see when deployment is "done"
  3. Report success/failure

The problem is that if the end user clicks, in Bamboo, "cancel", we'd like to then send a "cancel deployment" command to the deployment mechanism (simple REST call does the trick).  However, I can't seem to find anything like "final" tasks in the Deployment stack, or any variables that suggest that the deployment was manually cancelled.  Is there a way to capture that some how?  I can't figure out what Bamboo does to the active running tasks on the Deployment side (issue a kill -N signal that I could trap in a script?) when you cancel an active deployment.

Note - this is for DEPLOYMENT PLANS, not BUILD PLANS.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2017

Hi Jon,

In a deployment project you should see a line that says Final Tasks and you can drag items under the Final Task to make sure they run even if the other tasks failed:

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 1.43.50 PM.png

In regards to who completed the plan, if you view the full deployment log, you can search for "Request to Stop."

Cheers,

Branden

jvelapol July 18, 2017

OK, but how would I use that programmatically?  I can always manually observe a log file to see if "Request to Stop" happened.  Are you saying that I should create some kind of parser that runs that does a grep on the output log (wherever it's stored locally) for a given deployment, and then execute on that?  I can't find a "parse deployment log file" task.

jvelapol March 23, 2018

Hrm.  It appears that I can (probably fragile-ly) construct a path to grep in a log from:

#!/bin/bash

BASE=/path/to/bamboo-home/xml-data/builds
BUILD_DIR_BASE=$(echo $bamboo_working_directory | awk -F / '{printf $NF}')
BUILD_LOG_BASE=$(echo $bamboo_resultsUrl | awk -F = '{print $NF}')
BUILD_LOG=${BASE}/${BUILD_DIR_BASE}/download-data/build_logs/${BUILD_DIR_BASE}-${BUILD_LOG_BASE}.log

if grep -E -q "command.*Request to stop.*${BUILD_DIR_BASE}-${BUILD_LOG_BASE}" ${BUILD_LOG} ; then
echo "doing some additional action based on user requesting a stop"
else
echo "Nothing to do, happy enjoying!"
fi

Is that what's expected?  I didn't see any values that pointed to the existing build log (like a $bamboo_build_log) set in any of the deployment log.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events