Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo and Agent load

Timothy Harris November 11, 2014

I know that Bamboo will try to match a jobs requirements to an agents capabilities when distributing a job.

But does Bamboo do any real load balancing? 

Meaning If I have two or more agents with the same capabilities, which match many jobs. Will Bamboo take the least loaded agent when distributing the job?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2014

ATM Bamboo doesn't do load balancing. Wherever a new build appears in the queue matching agents will try to take it - first one that will do it wins and builds the job.

0 votes
Sergey Podobry _Stellarity Software_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2014

I guess it's not a typical usage to have several agents on the same machine. At least the question is now completely clear for me. Let's wait for someone from Atlassian to answer.

0 votes
Timothy Harris November 11, 2014

I mean the load. For example the load average on a Unix/Linux machine: For example from the top command on a Linux box: *load average: 0.38, 0.30, 0.21* "On Unix-like systems, including Linux, the system load is a measurement of the computational work the system is performing. This measurement is displayed as a number. A completely idle computer has a load average of 0. Each running process either using or waiting for CPU resources adds 1 to the load average. So, if your system has a load of 5, five processes are either using or waiting for the CPU." *So a use case here:* * I have two slave machines(quite a powerful ones) * They each have 3 agents with the same capabilities * Both machines have one agent which is idle (not busy) * Bamboo has a job which can be ran on either of the machines and their free agent How does Bamboo select which agent gets the job? Does it just randomly select one? Or is it smart enough to examine the load on the two machines and assign the job to the one least loaded?

0 votes
Sergey Podobry _Stellarity Software_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2014

What do you mean least loaded? An agent is running a task (busy) or not running a task (free).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events