Bamboo agents after migration from Windows to Linux

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2016

In preparation for migrating a production Bamboo system from Windows Server 2008 to Linux (Ubuntu) we have set up a test Bamboo system on Linux and imported the backup zip file from the existing Bamboo production system.

We have installed a remote agent on a new Windows Server 2012 machine which appears to successfully register itself with the test Bamboo system on Linux.

I am however uncertain about what steps to take next. All of the current production build plans and history have imported into the test system correctly, but of course all of the jobs that were configured to build .Net applications now fail because they cannot find an agent to run MSBuild etc.

My question therefore is:

Do I need to delete all of the .Net builds on the new test system and re-create them from scratch using the remote agent running on Windows Server 2012 - or - is there a way to 'switch' them from the previous default agent (which no longer has MSBuild capabilities as it is running on Linux) to the remote agent which does have MSBuild capabilities?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2016

Hello David,

You will be required to add the Microsoft capability in Bamboo to the remote agent on Windows Server 2012 machine. Once you do, you need to make sure the Microsoft tasks within the Jobs are referring to this new capability, otherwise, they will still be making reference to the capability from your previous Bamboo instance on Windows Server 2008.

Kind regards,

Rafael

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2016

Hello Rafael,

Thank you for your quick response. Your answer put me on the right path. Though I did have to remove all of the capabilities from the default local agent (now Linux) first.

The remote agent appears to have an ability to 'auto detect' capabilities which now display correctly (i.e. I didn't need to add them).

Once the above was complete, jobs then declared no agent can run this job. I needed to go through each of them to select the respective MSBuild executable from the drop-down list in all MSBuild task(s).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events