Bamboo agent capability autodiscover

Deleted user February 19, 2013

Hello

I'm asking, if there a good and straight way to automatically discover agent capability.

I want all my 50 remote agents has capabiliti such as operating system. For example, TeamCity has such capability set automatically on each agent.

Also, that's will be fine if I could have an ability to do a bulk capability change operation on agents.

1 answer

0 votes
Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2013

In the Admin > Agent screen there is a link "Shared Remote Capabilities". You can use this page to view, add and delete shared remote capabilities. These capabilities will inherited by all remote agents. There doesn't yet seem to be a bulk operations for editing after the fact. If you want to best manage the capabilities you may want to consider using a bamboo-capabilities.properties file which is a flat file where you specify the key=value properties you want defined and can copy-paste it between all agents (assuming you want the same capabilities and assuming software like JDKs, maven, etc are all at the same path.

Deleted user February 20, 2013

I cannot populate all agents with similar operation system property because I have different operating systems.

Usinng of bamboo-capabilities.properties has an issue, as far as I know, that I cannot change properties throw web interface if I use this file.

So, both options are not solve my problem.

Adam Myatt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2013

The use of bamboo-capabilities.properties certainly has it's pros and cons. It makes defining capabilities for nearly identical agents much easier especially if you have numerous capabilities. Our agents are identical Vms (50% Linux and 50% windows) and we maintain 2 versions of bamboo-capabilties.properties files; one for Windows and 1 Linux. If you have multiple differing OS's or such, then yes that doesn't help you.

You can edit capabilities in the web UI, but once the agent restarts those edits potentially go away.

There is definitely room for improvement with regards to bulk adding capabilities to agents.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events