Bamboo Server Hanging

Andrew Morin June 21, 2012

I am running Bamboo 4.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2 server with ten remote agents attached. I only build on the remote agents. I run Bamboo as a Windows service. Since I have upgraded I have had to go restart the service at least once a day and sometimes twice. The service is still running when I access the server but the web site does not come up. There is nothing in the logs that indicate anything went wrong. Once I restart the service it comes right up with no problems. Any idea what may be causing this? I thought it might be ActiveMQ as we have an in house application that uses ActiveMQ but each client that is broadcasting has a specified host as the remote Bamboo agents do when you install the remote agent.

There is a db-1 text file in the C:\bamboo-home\jms-store\bamboo\KahaDB directory on the Bamboo server but it is 32MB and I have not tried to open it and I am not sure if I can stop the service and remove this so I can get a smaller copy to open so I can see if there is any information there to indicate if indeed ActiveMQ is an issue.

Anyone have any idea's..?

Thanks

Andrew

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastien Erard June 21, 2012

When upgrading from Bamboo 3.1.x to 4.0.1, we needed to increase the java heap size to get it working right.

Thanks I will try that and report back.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew Morin June 26, 2012

So I updated the heap size from 256/540 to 1024/1024. Bamboo ran for a couple days but was in that state again when I came in this morning. Once again nothing in the logs...service still running. I let the browser spin for 30 minutes + and nothing. I may try increasing the database connections or an upgrade to see if the problem goes away....

Andrew Morin June 26, 2012

So I updated the heap size from 256/540 to 1024/1024. Bamboo ran for a couple days but was in that state again when I came in this morning. Once again nothing in the logs...service still running. I let the browser spin for 30 minutes + and nothing. I may try increasing the database connections or an upgrade to see if the problem goes away....

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2012

If that does not help, please contact support and attach a thread dump from the moment the problem happens.

Andrew Morin July 18, 2012

So we ended up writing a script to check to see if the URL was alive and if not restart the service. After I upgrade to the latest if the issue persists we will open a ticket.

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2012

What do you mean by "website does not come up"?

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
June 21, 2012

Hmm, can you try increasing the amount of db connections in bamboo.cfg.xml ?

When this happens and I try and open the Bamboo site it just sits and spins and I never get a 403 or 503. I have never let it sit long enough to error out though I have let it try and connect for over 30 minutes.

using a http://myserver:8085 URL to connect. I guess when it happens again over the weekend I can let it keep trying until I get something. I don't have that time during the working week.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events