Bamboo SSH Task - Handle User Input to Change Password

I'm using the Bamboo SSH Task. I want to connect to a Linux VM using the hostname, username, and password. Once connected I want to use the command field to pass commands that allow me to change the password of the user connecting. In the commands field I tried :

passwd

NEWPASS

NEWPASS

However when this runs it connects fine, then tries the passwd command and halts on it. Is there a way to pass these commands so the NEWPASS is treated as user input to the passwd command?

3 answers

1 accepted

Ah ha. I was able to actually get this to work.

Using the "SSH Remote Commands" Task I specified the host, username, password and then in the "New Inline Script" field I used this :

echo "MyNewPassword" | passwd --stdin username

Though from the articles I read this is BAD security practice as anyone on that host with access to PS could easily see the command run, however it does prove it is possible.

Thank you for the additional feedback above.

Hi Adam,

I'm afraid that this is not possible using only Bamboo. As a workaround, you can create an Expect script to change the password (or parse the output from another command) and call it via Bamboo task. I'd already created many Expect scripts to automatize tasks and it really works well.

I hope it helps. :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

I would think the better approach would be to set up the SSH access and RSA tokens to allow password-less SSH from the bamboo agent to the other box for that specific user.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,786 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you