Bamboo Remote Agent Problem: URI has an authority component

I have a problem with one of my remote agents. When starting the agent I see the following errors in the log file:

Exiting due to fatal exception.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI has an authority component
   at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.BootstrapUpdater.ensureLatestBootstrap(BootstrapUpdater.java:36)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentContext.updateBootstrapIfNecessary(AgentContext.java:203)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentContext.initServerSession(AgentContext.java:104)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentContext.run(AgentContext.java:94)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentBootstrap.run(AgentBootstrap.java:95)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentBootstrap.main(AgentBootstrap.java:41)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp.run(WrapperSimpleApp.java:240)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
FATAL [WrapperSimpleAppMain] [AgentBootstrap] Exiting due to fatal exception.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI has an authority component
   at java.io.File.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.BootstrapUpdater.ensureLatestBootstrap(BootstrapUpdater.java:36)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentContext.updateBootstrapIfNecessary(AgentContext.java:203)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentContext.initServerSession(AgentContext.java:104)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentContext.run(AgentContext.java:94)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentBootstrap.run(AgentBootstrap.java:95)
   at com.atlassian.bamboo.agent.bootstrap.AgentBootstrap.main(AgentBootstrap.java:41)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp.run(WrapperSimpleApp.java:240)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
JVM exited while starting the application.

I checked the Java version and architecture, the config file for the wrapper and the agent and couldn't find any difference to the other Remote Agents that I use. The system Path variable looks good as well.

Remote Agent Infos:
Jdk: 1.8_60 x64 by Oracle
Wrapper / Remote Agent Version: Version 3.2.3-atlassian-1

Bamboo Version: 5.9.4

Any help is highly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

I found it out myself.

The problem was caused by a network share of the standard installation path. The path was shared before the bamboo agent got installed. Somehow the installation batch for the service used the UNC path for the call of the agent rather than the local path. It worked after removing the share of the folder and reinstalling the whole agent.
Make sure to check the "Path to executable" in the Windows service if you run into a similar problem.

0 vote

What is the full path of your atlassian-bamboo-agent-bootstrap.jar ?

I guess you mean the bamboo-agent-bootstrap.jar Full path: C:\Users\[UserID]\bamboo-agent-home\lib\bamboo-agent-bootstrap.jar The UserID contains no blanks or special characters it's like abc123.

Hello Robin, The file requested is "atlassian-bamboo-agent-bootstrap-5.9.4.jar": * under "<bamboo-install>/atlassian-bamboo/WEB-INF/lib" * under "<bamboo-agent-home>/classpath" — Kind regards, Rafael P. Sperafico Atlassian Support

Alright, the paths are: E:\Atlassian\Bamboo\atlassian-bamboo\WEB-INF\lib\atlassian-bamboo-agent-bootstrap-5.9.4.jar or \\[Hostname]\Atlassian\Bamboo\atlassian-bamboo\WEB-INF\lib\atlassian-bamboo-agent-bootstrap-5.9.4.jar and C:\Users\[UserID]\bamboo-agent-home\classpath\atlassian-bamboo-agent-core-5.9.4.jar

How do you start your agent?

I used the included batches to create a Windows service. Something strange happened today. After reinstalling the whole agent, the process agent that got started by the installation process was working correct. The service that I installed afterwards failed again with the same error like before. So I guess it has something to do with the service. The service is set up to use the account of the main PC user which also has local admin rights on the machine and can write to the user directory where the builds are happening. Maybe this has something to do with it? This setup is also used on the other 3 remote agents that are working with no problem. But maybe I missed something.

What I think happens is that for some reason the agent determines its location using an UNC path and that does not work.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,801 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you