Bamboo - Plan branches / Automatic Merging / Branch Updater / Gatekeeper

Quinton McCombs March 17, 2015

We are currently using the Branch updater automatic merging with Stash as the source repository.  The main build plan build from the master branch.  When feature branches are created, a plan branch is created in Bamboo for the new branch as expected.  

This works perfectly as long as the feature branches were branched off of the master branch.  The problem is that we have other branches for older versions that we need to support.  These branches are named 'support/<version> - example: support/4.1.X'.  When a feature branch is created from one of those branches, the initial build fails because it can't merge master into the feature branch.

The simple work around for this problem is for someone to update the build plan for the branch and set the 'Merge from' to the build plan for the original branch (ie one of the support/* branches). We don't really want to give every developer edit permissions on the build plans for their projects. We currently have this restricted to team leads but this is creating bottlenecks for our developers.

The source of the problem is that when a plan branch is created, it inherits all of the settings from the primary plan (which builds master). I have tried creating separate plans for each support branch but this results in plan branches being created in all of those plans for each feature branch. I think that I would have to implement a naming convention for branches to be able to have the plans automatically create the plan branches in the right plan. We would probably spend more time fixing badly named branches...

Is there any way around this problem? I would be open to any ideas that would solve the problem. I have looked at the API for bamboo plugins but I don't see any extension points that would the plugin to react to a new plan branch being created and then update it.

1 answer

0 votes
Iman G December 10, 2015

We have the same problem in our organization. Did you by any chance find a workaround for this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events