Bamboo Notifications to Google Talk

Ben
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013

We use Google Talk (now Google Hangouts, I suppose) in Google Apps (for your domain).

AFAIK, the Instrant Messaging Address in that case is just our email (which has no indication that it is google/gtalk/etc). Is there something special we can do to make Bamboo work with Google Talk in this way, so we can get IM notifications from Bamboo.

I recognize that Google is going away from XMPP with Hangouts, but my pidgin IM client still works, so I think Google is still supporting it (albeit with the XMPP server being explicitly set to talk.google.com:5222, which is different from the domain).

Note that the documentation about Google Talk for Bamboo does not apply to OnDemand - I am looking for an answer in OnDemand. Perhaps it is just as simple as knowing what the Bamboo sender user is so I can add it to my approved list of receipients.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Turns out this is a bug in Bamboo OnDemand (BAM-13938) - that the admin can no longer administer the IM configuration...if you have this issue, please vote for that!

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Hi Ben,

Atlassian doesn't provide a direct integration with Google Hangout / Talk. You can write your own scripts and add the message as a script task on your plan.

However, customer can integrate Bamboo with Atlassian HipChat. The documentation can be found at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Integrating+Bamboo+with+HipChat

Cheers,

Lucas Lima

Ben
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2013

Specifically, you mean create a command configuration task in our plan? Is there a variable for the responsible user (I suppose bamboo.ManualBuildTriggerReason.userName would work in some cases) and how do you make it do this only on failed builds and first successful build.

Assuming you could do all that (which I doubt you can) then this would have to be added to all our plans rather than the nice notification system in Bamboo.

I have created a feature request for it as well. Atlassian does not seem to be afraid of Google Apps integration in general, so that's a good sign...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events