Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo: Is it possible to have both a internal user and Crowd LDAP external?

Lloyd McCulloch August 17, 2016

Hello, 

I would like a designated build user in Bamboo with a password that never expires.

We currently use Crowd to manage our users via our corporate LDAP server.  

We are starting to implement various types of automation through the API and I'm currently using my corporate username/password which I'm forced to change every 60 days.  I encode my password but every time it changes I have to go through all the plans and scripts to make sure I update them with the new password. 

Bamboo only allows internal OR external.  I've tried to create a non-ldap user in Crowd and assign it to my Bamboo application, add that user to the same Bamboo group as myself, synchronize but I'm not able to log in to Bamboo as that user (the user shows up in the user list).  Do I need to get IT to create a LDAP user for this?

What would my options be?

Thank you for your time.

2 answers

0 votes
Lloyd McCulloch August 17, 2016

Hello Sergey, 

I appreciate the response. 

I added the user I had created in Crowd (only - doesn't exist in LDAP like my user info) to the User section with full Admin rights to the Global Permission section but was still not able to either log into Bamboo as that user or successfully invoke a API as that user - it returns "Basic Authentication Failure - Reason : AUTHENTICATION_DENIED".

When I switch out that user info with mine its successful.

I did just notice that under Security=>Security Settings that "Enable Signup?" is NOT checked.  I actually only have "Read-only external user management?" checked.   

I could try turning that on and seeing if that is restricting something. 

Thank you again for your time. 

Lloyd

Sergey Podobry _Stellarity Software_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2016

Check your application configuration in Crowd. Did you allow authentication from the internal directory?

crowd.png

Lloyd McCulloch August 18, 2016

No, only the LDAP directory is specified. So, configuring a Crowd internal directory that can contain internal valid users who do not need to be in LDAP? 

I appreciate your time. 

Lloyd McCulloch August 18, 2016

WooHoo!! It worked.  I created an internal directory in Crowd, added a build user to that internal directory, added that directory to my Bamboo application, sync'd with Bamboo and then added that new user to the Global Permissions as admin and it worked!! It's now a valid internal user .. with a password that never expires. 

Thank you very much Sergey for your time and assistance!!

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2016

You're welcome!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2016

Hi Lloyd,

Your setup should work. As you see your user in the Bamboo try setting him permissions directly in 

Bamboo administration=>Security=>Global permission (to be sure that you didn't mess with groups).

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events