Bamboo Cloud mount EBS volume in SSD?

Hangsu Ma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2016

I specified a EBS snapshot ID in my elastic instance configuration page.

The snapshot contains atlas-sdk, pre-populated maven local repo and some other build tools I use.

I am hopping it will improve my build time, but turns out the volume bamboo created is always magnetic volume.

And I didn't find any options to specify a SSD volume.

Now my local build only take 1.5 min on desktop with SSD, the bamboo jobs actually takes 7 mins each, and I have many of those jobs!

Going through the bootstrap scripts on the image, it looks like hardcoded to use magnetic volume.

Anyone run into same problem, anyone managed to use SSD volume without copy and hack stock image?

I have tried to use instance startup script to overwrite the bootstrap script, but guess what, the bootstrap script runs first!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hangsu Ma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2016

Finally get around to try this, following Przemek's suggestion, I have managed to use mount pre-populated EBS in SSD for elastic bamboo build. below are the steps if anyone is interested.

1. config your EBS block follow Atlassian document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/configuring-elastic-instances-to-use-the-ebs-289277121.html
  2. Un-select Automatically mount EBS check box in your Elastic image configuration page
  3. add script below to the end of your instance start up script, replace snapshot id, region, zone, aws key and aws secrete with your own

mkdir /mnt/bamboo-ebs
    chown bamboo:bamboo -R /mnt/bamboo-ebs
    export EBS_VOLUME=$(/usr/bin/ec2-create-volume --snapshot snap-e80c56c2 -size 100 --availability-zone eu-west-1a --type gp2 --region eu-west-1 -O "KEY" -W "SECRETE"|cut -c8-19)
    export INSTANCE_ID=$(wget -q -O - http://instance-data/latest/meta-data/instance-id)
    sleep 30
    /usr/bin/ec2-attach-volume ${EBS_VOLUME} -i ${INSTANCE_ID} -d /dev/sdf --region eu-west-1  -O "KEY" -W "SECRETE"
    sleep 30
    /usr/bin/ec2-modify-instance-attribute ${INSTANCE_ID} -b /dev/sdf=${EBS_VOLUME}:true --region eu-west-1  -O "KEY" -W "SECRETE"
    mount /dev/xvdf /mnt/bamboo-ebs
    sleep 10
    chown bamboo:bamboo -R /mnt/bamboo-ebs
    su - bamboo -c "/mnt/bamboo-ebs/bin/customiseInstance.sh"

1 vote
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2016

You should be able to create, attach and mount a volume on your own through the instance setup script.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events