Bamboo: Changing location of database to different db server but nothing more

We need to move our database to a different DB server, from a SQLServer 2005 to SQLServer 2008. Do we need to completely re-install Bamboo, or can we simply install a copy of the database on the new server and point Bamboo to the new location ?

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Ken,

1) I would recommend Exporting your Bamboo instance, installing a new Bamboo instance with separate BAMBOO_INSTALL, BAMBOO_HOME, and new DB and during the Setup Wizard (Step 5) point to the exported backup to import that into the new Bamboo (which uses the new DB).

2)Alternatively, you can shut down Bamboo, manually transfer the DB from SQLServer 2005 to SQL Server 2008 and change the DB credentials from the BambooHome/bamboo.cfg.xml file to point to the new location. Start Bamboo, and it should use the new DB.

Armen

Thank you Armen.

I was trying to avoid the complexity of 1) but decided to do it anyway because the official migration instructions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Moving+your+Bamboo+data+to+a+different+database do not mention 2).

To save time for others, it would be nice if the official instructions mentioned your good advice.

I have edited that page and added the second option. Thanks for pointing out to that page.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Renan Battaglin
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,087 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot