Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo 4 LDAP integration not working as I'd expected

Jason Wandel June 6, 2012

I've followed http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO40/Integrating+Bamboo+with+LDAP for my Bamboo 4.01 WAR install deployed through Tomcat 6. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have worked - though it may be a case of I'm expecting something different to the way Bamboo works.

I've verified that my atlassian-user.xml works through the use of Paddle and Jxplorer. So, earlier on today I deployed that file to Bamboo and restarted tomcat - but nothing appears to have happened.

I'd expected Bamboo to then search the LDAP server and create users based on all the people it could find, which I could then simply set into the relevant groups (noting that because of BAM-1963 as noted on that page I wouldn't see them listed). Instead, the list of users both within Bamboo and in the database backend behind it remained the same, and the users can't login.

At the time I tried this, we didn't have a "bamboo-users" group which I remember reading somewhere that LDAP users are imported into... I don't know if this had any impact.

I should note that the read-only external user management is off (unticked).

Anyway, was my expectation correct... or does Bamboo simply try to use LDAP to authenticate any new users but each user still has to create an account with Bamboo?

TIA

1 answer

0 votes
bmccoy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2012

Hi,

Bamboo won't copy all the users from LDAP into the database (so the list of users in the database will remain unchanged). But you should see them in the "users" page in our administration and they should be able to login. You do not have to manually create accounts in Bamboo.

It sounds like something else is wrong with the configuration (or Bamboo).

Its probably best to create a support request, https://support.atlassian.com/ and they can guide you further.

Cheers,

Brydie

Jason Wandel June 6, 2012

Brydie, thanks for the response. I can see by looking at the ticket BAM-1963 that it was fixed in v2.1.2... so why is the comment that not all users/groups will be listed still present in doco for v4? That comment really needs to be removed because it is more than a little confusing...

I tried a slightly different config getting Bamboo to search through the hierarchy with setting a higher-level baseUserNamespace OU and setting userSearchAllDepths to true... but this didn't help either.

I'll go raise that support ticket now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events