AuthenticationFailedException

Per Samuelsson April 8, 2013

Im evaluating Bamboo for our company, and when I try to set up the mail settings on the server and test it, I get this:

The mail settings you entered were not valid. Error thrown was: javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException

I've tried reading other posts, but with no luck finding an answer as to way.

Now, the really weird thing is that I recently bought Stash and it's set up with the exact same credentials (and, currently, even reside on the same machine) and in there it works like a charm.

I'm using a simple corporate in-house SMTP with no autentication (so basically just a smtp.server.domain name and nothing else. No TLS. And like I wrote, the exact same setup works in buddy-server Stash.

Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Per Samuelsson April 9, 2013

I actually found the problem (and the solution) myself, by chance. I thought I'd post it here to let others now and for you guys at Atlassian to consider improving this.

It's rather easy to reproduce too.

The problem was that once I had entered a user name and a password for the SMTP connection, the password never was removed from the underlying storage - the bamboo-mail.cfg.xml in BAMBOO_HOME. In the UI, it looked like there was no password set (the text field is empty), but when I push the Test button, it uses the password saved in said file.

Now, since the SMTP server I tested with was "no authentication", it failed because the password was sent.

To remedy, it was not sufficient to just remove it as a whole from the file. I had to first do this, then restart the Bamboo server. After I did so, finally I got my mails sent out.

PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

Hi Per,

After reading your comments here I've allowed myself to raise an issue ticket on the Bamboo tracker: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-13099 - I think this is a clear bug in Bamboo (although personally I don't find it very severe - just annoying).

Sorry to hear about your troubles!

regards,
Piotr Stefaniak
Bamboo developer

Per Samuelsson April 14, 2013

Hi Piotr,

Raising an issue was the right thing to do, and I considered it myself, but didn't really have the time.

And I agree on your conclusion, it's not a showstopper, more of a costmetic one.

I'm back happy with my continous evaluation of Bamboo, thanks. Like it a lot!

Regards, Per

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events