Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian Bamboo Failover recommendations

Chris Riley June 25, 2013

I cannot find any documentation about architecting a Atlassian Bamboo configuration for failover. The only failover documentation I have found relates to JIRA. Can you provide any suggestions?

Based on what I have read and seen with other clients is the creation of a cold standby who's file system is synced with the primary bamboo instance. What isn't clear is whether we can have a clustered DB that both the primary and cold standby use or if they require there own independent DB.

Thanks

Chris

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2013

Hi Christopher,

What isn't clear is whether we can have a clustered DB that both the primary and cold standby use or if they require there own independent DB.

According to the JIRA Failover documentation, all databases that are supported by JIRA feature replication functionality that allows establishing master/slave replication or even clustering. Databases like PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle support synchronous replication - some even with a failover mechanism of their own.

Bamboo supports these databases as well, so it should be okay to apply the same suggestion given in that documentation for Bamboo.

I also found this post which you may find useful.

Chris Riley July 10, 2013

Thanks for the clarification on the DB portion. The client is considering MS SQL or Oracle. I have told them that Oracle RAC would be preferred option (failover or cluster mode). I am not as familiar with MS SQL but assume a cluster/failover solution is similarly defined. We will be using a JDBC URL that defines the cluster nodes in case of DB failure. Separate from the DB what I am gathering here is that Bamboo will operate similarly to JIRA and the JIRA best practices document is the guide that can be applied both JIRA and Bamboo?

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

It's similar, but Bamboo runs embedded Jetty and not Tomcat, so there are differences. Cold standby still stands though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events