Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWS CloudFormation stacks with Bamboo

Bryce Ashey April 25, 2016

If I were to spin up an AWS CloudFormation stack, how would I dynamically create that environment in Bamboo?  Any articles out there I can read up on?

Kind Regards,

Bryce

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2016

Unfortunately Bamboo doesn't support automated feature branching workflows based on deployment plans or environments as of today, despite Atlassian (rightfully) promoting this very development process in general, for example in section Feature Branch Workflow within the excellent 'Getting Git Right' guide, or in section Continuous delivery workflows with the branch-per-issue model within the likewise excellent 'The Pipeline' guide to continuous delivery.

While deployments from branches as such are available, the automated creation of deployment plans or environments similar to the automated branch management for build plans is not (and neither any chance for a solid workaround due to the lack of a REST API for deployment plan CRUD) - please watch/vote/comment on the following issue to further raise Atlassian's priority around this notable gap in their offerings:

Partial Workaround

Just briefly, given the disparity between what's supported for deployment plans vs. build plans, some users are not using deployment plans at all and facilitate a deploy stage in their build plans instead, i.e. simply try to model their entire CI/CD pipeline as a single pipeline indeed (see e.g. Patrick Cullen's update at the end of his answer to Triggering integration tests after deployment); of course, this comes with its own set of pros and cons as usual.

0 votes
Bryce Ashey April 26, 2016

Steffen - thank you for the great summary.  You answered my next question with regard to allowing us to do via the API.  It's unfortunate that the API does not expose that functionality.  I'm finding a lot of tools lack this functionality.  I watched/up voted the issue you linked - thank you again.

Kind Regards,

Bryce

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2016

The main functional difference with Bamboo Cloud is that it doesn't support 3rd party add-ons, including Tasks for AWS (see our resp. FAQ Will Tasks for AWS be available for Bamboo Cloud? for details) - I tend to ask that first because the required answer might turn out to be entirely different accordingly (though not for the scenario at hand due to the hurdle being a feature lacking in Bamboo itself).

0 votes
Bryce Ashey April 25, 2016

Running a local trial version of Bamboo Server - is there significant difference in functionality?  I was able to stand up the formation pretty readily using utoolity (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.utoolity.atlassian.bamboo.tasks-for-aws/server/overview) but I couldn't figure out how to dynamically turn that into environments.  To provide more detail we're looking to run an environment per feature (and release).  (there are reasons mainline dev won't work for us at this time).

Kind Regards,

Bryce

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2016

Hi @Bryce Ashey - are you using Bamboo Cloud or Bamboo Server?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events