Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHEL 8 + Docker + Bamboo Datacenter = ?

jvelapol July 22, 2022

Given that Redhat has officially abandoned Docker in favor of its own containerization technology (podman+buildah+skopeo), and we're about to migrate our server infrastructure to RHEL8, has anyone had any gotchas breakages and things that "just don't work" with RHEL8 + Bamboo (Datacenter 8.2.latest)?

Given also that Docker doesn't officially support RHEL8 (though it does provide Docker community editions for CentOS 8 Stream+) or even RHEL7 for that matter (there's a version you can get from RedHat, but it's ... old ...), what are others doing to accommodate that problem?  Especially given that Bamboo's officially supported Docker instances are like 17.07 or later?  Does anybody run Bamboo + Docker on a RHEL host at all?

1 comment

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2022

Hello @jvelapol

podman support in Bamboo is being tracked by this Feature request:

We encourage you to add yourself as a watcher to be kept informed as to the state of the feature request moving forward. That way, if the ticket is updated by our development team, you'll be notified via email. We have updated the bug ticket with a link to this Community post as a private note for our internal staff to evaluate.

There are a number of factors that determine how Atlassian prioritizes feature requests. You can learn more about this by reading our Implementation of New Features Policy. And you can visit our https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa if you would like to search for any existing bugs or feature requests in the future.

Best regards,

Eduardo Alvarenga
Atlassian Support APAC

jvelapol July 25, 2022

Yikes.

My fear is that RHEL8 is already getting long in the tooth, doesn't support Docker (technically RHEL7 doesn't support Docker beyond 1.13.1.x officially, either), and the alternative (podman) isn't supported.  Does that imply that the Supported platforms page will have to start saying "Supports Linux, but not RHEL and its derivatives"?  Or maybe a callout to that fact on the "Installing Bamboo on Linux" page?

I feel like this might be important enough to at least have a footnote on those pages?  I've subscribed to that issue, but given that our entire infrastructure is RHEL based, and we're quickly moving to RHEL8 as per requirements (and I'm guessing other entities are mandated to do that, too), has anyone had any success with Podman+Bamboo?  If not, well, looks like we have to either abandon Bamboo, or abandon RHEL.  That seems ... problematic...

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events