Bamboo 7.0 is here!

Hello Community,

I’m Martyna Wojtas, product manager on Bamboo, and I'm happy to announce that Bamboo 7.0 is here! In this platform release, we have improved the Bamboo experience for everyone, admins as well as developers. Here are the highlights of what you can expect when you upgrade:

Improvements to branch configurations

Bamboo Specs can now support build configurations that differ from the master branch. Before this release, branch configurations were inherited from the master branch and could not be changed. Starting in 7.0, you can now create feature-specific configurations that allow for custom build plans. Finally giving you the control and flexibility to create test plans that evolve as often as your code does.

bamboo-specs.png

More secure platform

As security is a top priority for many of our customers we made sure it’s fully covered in Bamboo 7.0. The new release includes many security issues resolved, as well as support for new databases and repositories. We have also listened to the customers requesting support for Oracle 19 and provided it in Bamboo 7.0. What’s more, if you are using Crowd to manage Bamboo users - we have good news for you! Bamboo 7.0 is compatible with Crowd 4.0, so you can enjoy improved authentication performance for multiple directories in Crowd (the release notes can be found here).

Customizable headers

In 7.0 we’re introducing the ability to customize the look and feel of Bamboo. Now you can modify the color of the header, add your custom logo, and/or change the favicon to make the Bamboo platform your own.

bamboo-headers.png

We would love to get your feedback on these new improvements and learn how your organization plans to take advantage of them. Please share your stories, questions, and feedback with the Bamboo team below!

To find out more about Bamboo 7.0 check out the release notes.

53 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2020

Fantastic news @Martyna Wojtas!

We have been looking forward to a number of features coming in this release!

Like # people like this
Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2020

We hope you enjoy it @Jimmy Seddon! Looking forward to your feedback :) 

pfyod March 20, 2020

@Martyna Wojtas is it planned to support repositories other than bitbucket server (bitbucket cloud, github, etc) for divergent branches? 

Like # people like this
Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2020

Thank you for bringing this up @pfyod! We are exploring such a possibility.

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2020

That's great, thank you for hard work team!

let's update to that release :) 

Wait our new requests :)

Like Martyna Wojtas likes this
mark_gillespie March 23, 2020

None of Atlassian's own plugins are compatible with it.  Usual sloppy release process from the Bamboo team.  We don;'t get these problems with JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket releases.  Everything works out the box.

Like # people like this
Paul Wagland March 23, 2020

Two questions:

1. While we are talking about new database support, is there going to be any love for PostgreSQL 11+? Please? :-)
  2. When a plan is created automatically based on a PR, is there any possibility to specify how it should build? That is, (in my dream scenario!) would that config be pulled from itself? Our use case would be developer branches, it's nice that we can change the build stages (for example) for the various support branches, but how do we deal with that for developer branches that are based on these different branches?
Graham Ballantyne March 23, 2020

Pretty disappointed that a major release hasn't addressed the issue of not being able to trigger deploys automatically based on branches. There's been tickets open requesting this feature with 100+ votes for six years.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-14013
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-15155

Like # people like this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2020

Looks good - great job!
Installation succeeded and from what I could see no major issues with it :-)
I'd love to see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-20031 processed. Currently it is in "Gathering Interest" status.

Cheers,
Daniel

Cory Francis March 23, 2020

I for one, am super happy to see your team prioritized changing the header color instead of allowing me to declare plans w/ Terraform. Great prioritization team!! /s

Like # people like this
James Brown March 25, 2020

Does bamboo use the name of the job from the bamboo spec file or does it still name them Job 1, Job 2, etc?

Create plan/project specific variables in Bamboo Specs.

Full support for YAML

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2020

@Paul Wagland 

1. While we are talking about new database support, is there going to be any love for PostgreSQL 11+? Please? :-)
  2. When a plan is created automatically based on a PR, is there any possibility to specify how it should build? That is, (in my dream scenario!) would that config be pulled from itself? Our use case would be developer branches, it's nice that we can change the build stages (for example) for the various support branches, but how do we deal with that for developer branches that are based on these different branches?

Re 1: Support for PostgresSQL 11 is definitely something we would like to address soon.

Re 2: If plan branch is created (and all the prerequisites for Divergent Branches/Specs for Branches feature are met), its definitions comes from that branch. That applies to PR builds as well. So the way it works, you create a branch based on master or a release branch. Initially the specs (and thus configuration in Bamboo) is going to be the exact copy of the parent branch, but if you make changes on development branch, they are going to be applied to the related plan branches. Does it answer your question?

Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2020

@mark_gillespie 'None' is not a very precise term. Could you please list the plugins that you had problems with so we can investigate?

Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2020

@Graham Ballantyne thank you for your interest in these issues! Adding more features into this release would delay it and, as there have been many Bamboo users waiting for the improved specs, we didn't want to keep them waiting any longer. We will focus on some of the highly voted features in the upcoming releases.

Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2020

Thank you @Daniel Ebers! Glad to hear that the installation was successful and it's working smoothly :) We are currently exploring adding support for Java 11.

Graham Ballantyne March 26, 2020

@Martyna Wojtasthat's great and all, but some of these issues with many votes have been open for years and years. You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath. Either be honest, say you have no interest in the feature and close the ticket so we can move on, or take some action.

Like # people like this
mark_gillespie March 26, 2020

@Martyna Wojtas   atlassian support tools, atlassian plugin manager, atlassian conditional tasks (now marked as supported)

James Brown March 26, 2020

Does anyone know if it’s possible to store a python test file in a directory and then in an automated fashion parse it out into jobs/tasks in a bamboo build?
I would like to make it easier on developers to write there TDD write in the same branch they are working on vs in a bamboo spec repository. This would cut out time of forcing them/hand holding them through creating/updating a build plan through the UI and they would not have to learn java specs.

Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2020

@mark_gillespie thank you for providing the list - now I can answer your question properly :) Support and conditional task plugins had been compatible with Bamboo 7.0.2, however the information on the supported product versions was not updated on the marketplace - it's done now. As for UPM - which version are you using? 4.0.11 is bundled with the product and fully compatible.

mark_gillespie March 27, 2020

@Martyna Wojtas   I'm using the version that comes with 6.10, it's not showing any updates, and it's showing it as incompatible with Bamboo 7

UPM 3.0.6

Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2020

@Graham Ballantyne I totally understand where you're coming from and agree that we haven't been taking proper care of all of the Bamboo open issues in the last few years. We are now focusing on making this process work by the ways you have mentioned: closing the old issues with low number of votes and allocating resources to work on the old and highly votes ones that are aligned with our strategy for FY20. We already have one of the top voted issues ready for 7.1 (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-13589).

Martyna Wojtas
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2020

@mark_gillespie could you please provide the exact version? 6.10._?

@Martyna Wojtas 

Atlassian Bamboo version 6.10.4 build 61009 - 21 Nov 19

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2020

@mark_gillespie UPM 3.0.6 is incompatible with Bamboo 7. Compatible version of UPM is bundled with 7.0 release.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events