Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a cloned issue has status updated, update status of original issue

Donna Tang July 19, 2021

Hello,

I have written a few Jira automation rules but have not been able to figure out a solution to what we need for our workflow.

Background: (Jira admin access on the project only, not global admin access)

1. We have all incoming requests created as an issue on a main project board
  2. From there the issue would remain on the board and transition through your typical statuses (To Do, In Progress, On Hold, Done/Cancelled).
  3. I currently have automation setup so that when the original issue is triggered to status of "Assigned to Tech Team", the issue then cloned to the relevant project board based on the label. (IE: PDA goes to PDA project board, RPA goes to RPA project board, etc. etc.)

What I want to happen:

• when cloned issue's status is transitioned, trigger status update on the original issue/story. (IE: so this would mean when the tech team completes their work, it would update the original request. Please note, that it is also possible that multiple tech teams need to be assigned)

Would appreciate any assistance!

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hi @Donna Tang 

As long as there is a link between those issues then you can perform such actions. Issue clone adds the link for you.

For transition linked issue create a rule like this.

rule-linked-issue.png

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hi @Donna Tang 

Adding to what @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ suggests, you note the original and cloned issues are in different projects.  Is that correct?

If so, you will need a global/multi-project rule as a project-scope rule cannot update issues in another project using automation actions.  And depending upon your Jira license level, there are limitations on the number of global/multi-project rule executions per month.  Please look here for more information: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/pricing

Best regards,
Bill

Like Curt Holley likes this
Donna Tang July 26, 2021

Thanks @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ @Bill Sheboy 

Apologies for the late response.

I'm aware of the need for global admin access to be able to make it work and the costs.

Is there any way around this somehow since I'm admin for all the boards that I need to apply automation to?

Regards,

Donna

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2021

Hi, Donna.  My understanding is there are currently only two ways to change multiple projects' issues from a Jira automation rule:

• Easy and license limits: use a global-scope rule
  • Difficult and fewer limits: call the REST API from a project-scope rule to change what you need in other projects
Like Donna Tang likes this
Donna Tang July 26, 2021

Thanks Bill.

Looks like the API route it is.

Appreciate the quick responses. Have a great day!

Regards,

Donna

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2021

Donna, here is an article on calling the REST API from an automation rule.  I hope it helps if you try that route:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automation-for-Jira-Send-web-request-using-Jira-REST-API/ba-p/1443828

Best regards,
Bill

Like Donna Tang likes this
Julia Schierle March 4, 2022

Hi all,

one question regarding this rule.

Do I get it right, that I have to have it running in both projects where I have the clones?

Thanks and best regards

Julia

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events