Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition Initiative to In Progress when Epic starts

Michael June 14, 2021

I am using Advanced Roadmaps to create initiatives and set the Parent Link for Epics. I want to transition the Initiative to In Progress when at least one Epic starts. I have tried many different things but they have all failed to work. I would like to do this without purchasing another add-on as I believe this should be native functionality.

My structure is like this: Initiative -> Epic -> All other Standard Issue Types -> All Sub-Task issue types. Epics will be set with a 'Parent Link' to the initiative.

Is there a way for me to do this using Automation?

5 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Michael June 14, 2021

I think I figured out how to get this working. You can use a new Variable or just set the smart value directly in the JQL.

1. Set your Branch rule to use JQL -> use this query: issuetype = Initiative AND issuekey = {{issue.Parent Link.data.key}}
  2. Create a new Variable called {{parentLink}} -> set Smart value with {{issue.Parent Link.data.key}}. Next, set your Branch rule to use JQL -> use this query: issuetype = Initiative AND issuekey = {{parentLink}}

Keep in mind if your Parent Link issue type is not 'Initiative' then just replace Initiative with whatever you're using. I hope this helps someone else.

initiative to in progress.png

Deleted user July 14, 2021

spent 4 hours on this problem until I found your post! many thanks!

Like # people like this
Nicole Downes October 11, 2021

Thankyou Michael, been struggling with this one for awhile. Great answer, easy to follow.

Like # people like this
Garrett Hunter October 25, 2021

How would you test for Initiative existence first? The rules throws an error when one is not linked.

Michael October 26, 2021

You can try checking if the {{parentLink}} is not empty before proceeding else log something to the audit log--see screenshot below. I have not tested this so it might not work but give it a shot.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 091333.png

Like # people like this
Davor Fisher November 18, 2021

How I create a smart variable? I am not seeing that on JIRA DC automation.

Davor Fisher November 18, 2021

Also would this be possible if Initiative are on one project and Epics are on a different project. Our setup has all of our Initiatives in a single jira project  and Epics are on different team projects.

Like # people like this
Michael November 19, 2021

@Davor Fisher when you add a new action, do you see this option

Screenshot 2021-11-19 151254.png

I set up a global rule so I don't think it cares which project the Initiative is in as long as it is the parent issue of the Epic.

Davor Fisher November 19, 2021

Michael,

I do not. It must be just available on the cloud which is unfortunate as teams would love to have this functionality. 

Davor

Davor Fisher November 19, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.26.19 PM.png

Michael November 22, 2021

I did some looking around and you're right, it is not in server yet. You can try using option 1 I mentioned above. Here it is again for reference:

1. Set your Branch rule to use JQL -> use this query: issuetype = Initiative AND issuekey = {{issue.Parent Link.data.key}}
Like Quentin Laudrain likes this
Chris Melville January 10, 2022

Thanks for this post.  Unfortunately, {{issue.Parent Link.data.key}} does not contain a value, at least in DC version 8.13.10.

Any pointers from the Atlassian team on how to solve this for us poor on premise users?

Chris Melville January 10, 2022

Hah.  Got it working with just {{issue.Parent Link}}.

Like # people like this
Sue Lund
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2023

I needed this today.  Thank you Michael. 

Hila Lahav Rice November 12, 2023

hi,
DC ver 9.4  it also worked with Branch by linked issues - type "child of"
automation to update parent of epic.jpg

0 votes
Raymond_Gorbea April 25, 2023

disregard

0 votes
Abdullah July 29, 2022

For Data_Center

there is not option to create variable, and for some reason rule branch[Parent] didn't work nor other options.

however after many hours I was able to make it work 

JQL > issue in parentIssuesOf("{{issue.key}}")

Related Issues Condition > issue IN ChildIssuesOf("{{issue.key}}") and issuetype=epic

Matches >issue IN ChildIssuesOf("{{issue.key}}") and issuetype=epic and status = Done

what this rule does it will change the status the initiative Epics' were done, 

obviously you can modify it as per your need 

AutomationRulePNG.PNG

To save your time double check the status transitions,

I had an issue whatever I was doing to the rules nothing seems to be working

eventually I've found out it was due The Transitions on the workflow 

therefore it was not changing the status from To Do > Done once I added the missing transitions the rules start working.

0 votes
Luca Calderone July 7, 2022

0 votes
Sander Voskuilen December 7, 2021

Hi @Michael

In addition to the use case above: is there a way to set the status of the initiative to 'Done' when all the childs (epics) have the status 'Done'? I can't figure it out with the existing options you can choose from in the 'branche rule', sub field: 'Type of related issues'. This is what I've tried so far.

Any idea? Many thanks!2021-12-09 16_26_02-Clipboard.png

Sander Voskuilen December 9, 2021

I think I figured it out. The following options should automatically set the status of the initiative to DONE when all the child issues (epics) were on status DONE.

2021-12-09 16_26_02-Clipboard.png

Like # people like this
Noah Dellenbusch July 7, 2022

@Sander Voskuilen thank you, but what is your value at {{parentLink}}? {{issue.Parent Link.data.key}} and {{issue.Parent Link}} isn't working for me. 

Sander Voskuilen July 10, 2022

Hi @Noah Dellenbusch ,

Have you created the variable with the correct settings? Shown below how my settings are set.

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 21.39.47.png

After that, it should work! Or are you Server? Then you do not have the option to create a variable.

Like Noah Dellenbusch likes this
mortha ashwini February 9, 2023

Hi @Sander Voskuilen 

I've tried this rule creation but it is not working since the JQL is not formed precisely, could you please send the complete screenshots of this automation rule if possible, that will significantly help full for me.

Thank you in Advance!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events