Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Tracking sum up to Epic level

Senthil June 13, 2022

Hi,

I have project created with Epic, Story, Sub-task. We are capturing the log work on all the issue types, Is there a way to sum up all the log work against Epic. 

I have read few post and looks like, there is no solution provided, but is there a way to  roll up the time log against epic. 

Thanks,
Senthil

2 answers

0 votes
Diana Belokon
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 21, 2022

Hi @Senthil 

You can try simple app EpicTime for Jira - SumUp of Worklogs developed by our team.

It sums up the work logs of the child issues to the epic.

Screenshot 2019-04-18 at 15.17.10 (2).png

You can view the following information within Epic's issues:

• Epic Estimate
  • Epic Time Spent
  • Epic Remaining
  • Epic Ratio (percentage of the spent time)

A variety of reports provide data about time results for all epic issues.

ac32cb5c-1c69-47fb-a171-08d6e1e5c68b.png

Please feel free to ask any questions below or to contact us.

0 votes
Yvan Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2022

Hi Senthil,

Developer from Automation.

So you are correct in that it is a bit of a complex setup to try and get that use-case working, the other thing that you'll run into is Jira already has a sum/aggregate feature for Sub-tasks to the parent however it unfortunately doesn't flow up to the epic level. Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.32.06 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.32.03 pm.png

Logging time is also an accumulative action, it's not intended to be used to just set the value it's designed around incrementing over time. Having said that one strategy we can use is putting a trigger on work logged and depending on the task editing the parent/epic.

Another issue is because sub-tasks already have an include subtasks option then when that's selected you may see double time tracked given our rule would also be trying to do it, and if it didn't then you couldn't do a flow like sub-task -> task -> epic. It's also a little tricky since you'll need two rules once for sub-task -> and another from task -> epic, it would also require the option on rule details around "allow rule to trigger another rule".

Here's an example that updates does the task -> epic flow Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.29.31 pm.png

and as mentioned above you would need a second rule that does sub-task -> task with the issue type check and branch on parent instead. But as mentioned given Jira already has that "Include subtasks" checkbox you may see double time logged which isn't a great experience.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to reach out to https://support.atlassian.com/ for additional help.

Jahidfazal Patil
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 27, 2022

Hi Yvan Martin,

I am also looking for the same solution. I was trying your solution for task-->Epic but i am not able to get the step as shown in below image jira_Auto_epic.PNG

I am able to do only following:jira_Auto_epic_2.PNGjira_Auto_epic_1.PNG

Also I was going through the following doc to setup this but i don't see this working https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/How-to-sum-up-logged-hours-using-automation-in-Jira-Cloud/ba-p/1409115

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events