Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we sum up the story points of all child issues and update the Epic parent's story point??

Mohini Chandwani February 11, 2021

Consider an Epic parent, have 3 child issue of Bug,Improvement and New feature and we want the rule to sum up all the story point of these 3 child issues to Parent's story point.

3 answers

0 votes
testJira seb April 7, 2022

Hi,

The problem of tasks and subtasks being limited to a single level (you cannot create several nested subtasks). As a result, it is possible, for a tree structure of this type, to use the principle of Parentlink/Childlink

I've seen all of these answers (about "sum" pbl), which work great for task and subtask cases. On the other hand, it is impossible to run a procedure correctly with the ParentLink / childlink. For these cases, we fall into the same process. Do you have a solution for this type of case?

Example
child sheet = 10 and 20.
the first step is ok and the parentlink file is at 30.
if child 1 is modified (10->15), the parent changes to 45 (instead of 35).

Any idea ?

Thanks all.

0 votes
Victor Seger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2021

Hi @Mohini Chandwani ,

There's this documentation that might help you implementing this without the need to use Lookup action (which is only available for Cloud instances):

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/sum-up-story-points

Can you please take a look and see if it matches what you need?

Cheers,
Victor | Atlassian Support

testJira seb April 10, 2022

Hi Victor.

In your link, this is with "{{issue.subtasks.Story Points.sum}}" ... and so, with only "subtasks". For me, "subtasks" is to list all issues in case of "Task / subtask". So, in this case we use "Parent" in branch to get task and "subtasks" to get all issues

In my case, we don't use task/subtask. Issues are linked with "parent link". Have you keywords for issues in context "Parent/Child" ? to get parent, we use "issue IN parentIssuesOf( {{issue.key}} )" ... but how to get all (and sum) about child's issues ? something like "childs" ?

0 votes
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021
Mohini Chandwani February 11, 2021

The link you shared in that I am unable to add "lookup" issue component, its not available for me. 

There are two approaches I have figured out :

1.Find out all the child issues of Epic parent and sum up the "Story Points" of child issue and add up to Parent.

Problem : unable to find out the child issues using automation rule, how to get all those?

2.I tried using the {{triggerIssue.Story Points}} + {{issue.Story Points}} option but that continues to add like :

Story issue A = 12

Bug issue B = 10

Parent issue = 22 (first time it is correct)

This is fine so far but

Story issue A : 12 -> 15 (updated)

Parent Issue = 37 (not 25 like it should)

How to remove the Old Story Point and add new Story Point using smart values with rule.

Have read the articles, suggested to use join("+") that also does not work.

What can be the correct approach, please suggest.

Thank you for the immediate and valuable response.

Looking forward for more response.

Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2021

@Mohini Chandwani I have just replied on the other thread with a solution that will work in the Server version of Jira.

Victor Seger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2021

Hi @Mohini Chandwani ,

There's this documentation that might help you implementing this without the need to use Lookup action (which is only available for Cloud instances):

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/sum-up-story-points

Can you please take a look and see if it matches what you need?

Cheers,
Victor | Atlassian Support

testJira seb April 15, 2022

Hi Victor ; not the good one because you use "task/subtask" and I use parent/child.

testJira seb April 15, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events