Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I introduce a trigger rule for auto-creating stories when an EPIC is created?

jaspreet kaur December 8, 2022

I want JIRA to auto-create stories once I create an EPIC. Do I need to create a trigger rule, if yes, then, how to link the trigger to EPIC creation. 

3 answers

4 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Hi @jaspreet kaur welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, that is possible with Automation:

• When: Issue created
  • If: Issue matches JQL issuetype = Epic
  • Then: Create a new issue in:
    • Project: Same project
    • Issue type: Story
    • Summary: set default
    • Epic Link: Copy from trigger issue
  • And: Create a new Story in Same project and Epic Link: Copy from trigger issue
    • Project: Same project
    • Issue type: Story
    • Summary: set default
    • Epic Link: Copy from trigger issue
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2023

Hi @Dave Mathijs ,

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but the trigger issue is an Epic which lacks a value in the Epic Link field, so I think the value of Epic Link should be {{issue.key}} instead.

Regards

0 votes
Aleksandra Bosacka _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 3, 2023

Hello @jaspreet kaur 

It's Aleksandra from Deviniti and after reading your post, I think you may find our app handy :) 

With the help of Issue Templates for Jira, you can create a repository of reusable templates, and then use them to create all kinds of repetitive tasks in your projects.

The app supports various types of relations, including Epic templates with Stories or even issue links. For more details about this use case, I encourage you to see this chapter in the manual:

https://deviniti.com/support/addon/cloud/issue-templates/latest/copy-epic/

I hope you will find it useful. In case of any questions, feel free to reply back in this thread. I'll be happy to help!

Cheers,
Aleksandra

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2023

Hi @jaspreet kaur ,

Here you have a screenshot on how to set it:

rule.PNG

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events