🗽 Atlympics - Dave's experiences with the Community

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2021

Who are you?

Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm writing from beautiful New York City!

What's this article now?

It's my Atlympics post about my experience with the Atlassian Community, specifically as a Leader.

How'd I get involved with Community?

I first got involved back when ACEs were called AUGs - you know, Atlassian User Groups. I had the pleasure of meeting folks from Austin (see their ACE page!), Philly (Philadelphia ACE page), and NYC (of course).

The Leaders I met have all been enthusiastic about helping everyone get familiar with Atlassian products, and are always welcoming time-and-time again. Over time, I learned about the Events and Online aspects of being part of an ACE. Obviously the pandemic has blurred those lines a bit.

What's your dream ACE event?

My dream event is where everyone actually gets together in-person. It'd probably be at a swanky venue. But not too swanky, so everyone actually isn't refused entry at the door. 😅

Definitely looking forward to the next in-person ACE event. If anyone's up for it, I could organize a rooftop gathering in New York... hmmmm. Anyone fancy a glass? 💭

Did you know I have a time machine?

This was the oldest ACE photo I could find with me in it, from 2016! Five years ago:

ace-2016.jpg

4 comments

Comment

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2021

@Dave Liao Great post.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2021

Never forget.

IMG_20190822_201116.jpg

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2021

@Erica Moss- I miss that t-shirt! I had another one made (and I have no idea where it is now):

IMG_20190919_171751.jpg

Like # people like this
Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 12, 2021

@Dave Liao Love that ramen shirt!! 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

@Sharon Tan - glad you do!

And now I want ramen for dinner... 🍜

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2021

if you ever think about a reprint - I am in :-) 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2021

I bought the shirt from an Etsy store in Venice, California - unfortunately it looks like the store owner is taking a break!

nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2021

These shirts!!!! I need the white one - Trello changed into Service management 😂😂😂

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2021

haha, when I made the shirts, I knew JSD - but thought it was too specific to mention on a shirt.

I should have added Bitbucket and Bamboo, but...

Like nina_schmidt likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2021

Great post, @Dave Liao ! Good to see your past Community Events experiences and photos!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events