cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malcolm Gladwell

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

Well... huh. I had some thoughts. Feel free to discuss. Or not.

* Interesting choice to analyze the civil rights movement of the 60s vs Black Lives Matter from an organizational standpoint.

I guess that's keeping things "current", but I feel like it's possibly trivializing the gravity of what those movements we're and are about.

* A winning soccer team can be made up of many weak links (although I feel that's a little judgey. How about *normal* links) vs a winning basketball team that only needs 3 strong links and one lumbering white Australian. (I was wishing he actually knew enough about Atlassian to make that an inside joke.)

Enh. Sportsball analogies. But yeah, I guess the point being that you don't need superstars, just really good cooperation between a distributed network.

* A union for the New Yorker magazine making a demand that fact checkers and web producers get a 1-year sabbatical after 2-years of work. And out of hand he dismisses that idea as "absurd".

(Noting that Gladwell is a staff writer for the New Yorker.)

Hey yeah, that sounds like it'd be a pretty sweet perk. But maybe, just maybe it's a negotiating tactic to ask for more than you actually think you'll get. Especially when it's a fact that the publishing industry relies heavily on the idea of unpaid or severely underpaid labor (internships). Add to that the fact that the most of the people who can "afford" to work for free or cheap will come from systemically privileged backgrounds, and so then, the publishing industry continues to be extremely limited in the kinds of people that are writing, editing, and most importantly gate-keeping what people read.

But yeah, I get it, his point was that "kids today" don't want to work in a top-down hierarchical orgs, and it's all about distributed power.

HENCE you need a tools like Atlassian makes! Brilliant!

(But yeah, I actually enjoyed the talk. Much preferred it to a standard "Here's how to 10X your business" kind of thing.)

3 comments

Comment

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Nice one @Darryl LeeA lot of introspection and retrospection will go with this, " "kids today" don't want to work in a top-down hierarchical orgs, and it's all about distributed power". This reflects the changes in the organizational hierarchy as well Holacracy of distributing authority and decision-making.

Like elizabeth_jones likes this
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

A huge part of my role is breaking down hierarchy and creating distributed teams with the knowledge and information that they need to make the right things, at the right time, in the right way to achieve a company goal or objective, so I'm glad to hear that this was a major point in his session. I haven't had the opportunity to view it yet, but I'm looking forward to it :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2021

Well, I have to say that I was very disappointed in the talk. Maybe because it was one of my most anticipated talks. But for me, it seemed to spin out into various political statements that lacked actual knowledge and facts to support them. Things might look like on the surface that there is bottom-up/group lead type structure, but rarely is that ever the case for anything that lasts. And there is almost certainly someone behind the scenes pulling the levers and directing things. Just because that person is not in the limelight like MLK was doesn't mean that it's not really a top-down hierarchy. 

My two cents.  :-)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events