🤔 How to make the most of attending a digital conference?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 12, 2021

I don't know about y'all, but there are definite nuances to attending a digital conference.  It's great that it is accessible around the world, but it's harder to adjust to the conference time zone, tricky to block out dedicated time when your Slack and email are right there, and not really possible to walk around collecting a bag of swag like you're a kid on Halloween.

swag.gif

Sorry, Michael Scott; I feel the same

Team 2021 will be held April 28th and 29th, and of course we're going to make the digital experience (and community experience) as amazing as possible. But to kick off the conversation I would love to hear from those of you who attended Summit or any other digital conference last year: what's your pro tip for making the most out of the conference?

12 comments

Comment

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 12, 2021

Here's my tip: Give your boss a heads up that you'll be offline for XYZ time on XYZ date to virtually attend Summit. It's extremely hard to fully absorb value from talks while you're also responding to Slacks, so give yourself permission to turn off notifications and single task for a few hours. 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2021

1000%! The earlier you provide this notice, the easier it'll be to set expectations to everyone who's vying for your attention. 👀

Like # people like this
Anthony Doudt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

Yes, this! It's so important to fully shut down email and Slack to engage with the sessions. For me, if I just minimize the windows and turn off notifications it's still too tempting to pop one open in another screen to see if I've missed anything. 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

Heh, I ended up missing like 90% of Team 21 - had an unexpected vacation planned (a Good Thing) but also an urgent work assignment to handle.

Oh well, I should have been more clear about what vacation and Atlassian Team means to me 😂😂😂

Like Esther Strom likes this
Karan Verma February 13, 2021

It is interesting to watch Digital Conference but can't enjoy the as in-person event to meet industry experts, explore opportunities and meet other attendees as well for networking. 

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2021

I am definitely planning on taking time off so that I can enjoy the whole experience without being split or stressed.

I really hope this whole Corona gets better so that we go back to the in-person summit. Nothing equals the experience of live summit.

Like # people like this
Anthony Doudt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2021

Oh that's Awesome! Great idea taking time off to focus.  

100% agree about getting back to the in-person experience!

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

Yes, this would have been my first year as part of the Community Leader program, and I would have loved to meet everyone I see on Slack in person! Fingers crossed for 2022!

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2021

For me, the best way to enjoy a digital event is to make time in advance in my calendar. Otherwise I'll try to fit both my day work and the event in the same day and that's always a bad idea !

In the days before the event I'll try to get ahead on my work so that I can block a few hours during the day to truly enjoy the presentations and workshops 🙂

Like # people like this
Ben Thoma
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2021

My tip is: take the experience somewhere else!

If you can, move to a back porch, kitchen counter, couch, swap spaces with a neighbor, snag an outdoor table at a coffee shop, or even consider renting a desk in a coworking space (if it's safe in your community of course!).

Changing your surroundings can literally—and figuratively—change your perspective, attention, and focus.

giphy

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
April 27, 2021

@Ben Thoma my best friend is a (fully vaccinated) travel agent and he just flew to a resort in Cabo to dial into a virtual conference! An extreme version of this advice. :) 

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

Oh, we do have a hammock in the backyard. Good idea.

Like # people like this
Deleted user April 29, 2021

This is a good idea! I spent yesterday in the sun in my backyard watching talks and today it's raining so my (personal) laptop is hooked up to my TV and I'm on the couch. The change in surroundings is making it much easier to focus on the talks.

Like Monique vdB likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2021

My 3 pro tips:

1. Take notes and later check the bookmarked on-demand session(s).
  2. Mark your attendance.
  3. Get familiarize with event UI.
Like # people like this
Erica Spoor
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2021

Yes, this! I also add my on demand sessions to my calendar during the event so I am certain to carve out time later to go back and view them.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

Get your environment - computer, office space, couch, etc. ready to go with plenty of time in advance. And then have snacks handy. 

What's better Snacks? Or Atlassian SWAG? 

I think we need Atlassian branded SNACKS!!!

Like # people like this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2021

My first ever digital conference ... really looking forward to it!

@John Funk we certainly need snacks, Atlassian branded or not!!!!

Like # people like this
johndpatton April 27, 2021

FOMO affects 1 out 3 Atlassian Virtual Event Attendees. Won't you donate today to help an attendee in need? for less than a cost of navigating to a hyperlinked page you can help an attendee in need find the recorded conversation they are so desperately looking for... comment with links now - operators are standing by. 

DxCqs_aVsAIz7J_

Like Monique vdB likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

I really miss in person events but am grateful for the virtual events.  @ agree with Bridget get it on your calendar and let people know you are out.  Also remember to get up and move around during the day!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2021

Pro Tip: Quit your job - take the vacation you have to take and use the time you for team21 for a smooth wave for your new job 😁 *justkidding* even if I had this a little bit in mind when planning the time for team21

Take your time planning all the things you wanna see while checking the awesome platform (thanks to the Communiteam and everyone who was involved in this 😍)

And don't forget to pack your backpack! (even if it's not with swag 😩)

Like # people like this
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2021

should have planned before

but with my different time zone + that I forgot it, I am too late  ;(

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Unfortunately my day job interfered with watching and participating real time more than once, but thanks to the all access pass, I won't have to miss a thing. Personally I enjoy watching and absorbing on my own time whenever possible, so this is great for me. The biggest challenge I faced was with managing time zones. oops!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

Same here! 😅

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events