Announcing the Speaker Bench Challenge!

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 28, 2021

Editor's note: This challenge is now closed. Be on the lookout for more speaking opportunities and ways to earn a Speaker Kit!

Hi, Speakers! :microphone:

From the start, this group was created for people who want to sharpen their public speaking skills by learning from one another and by practicing IRL (or virtually) at various events! With that in mind …

We have a challenge for you - the Speaker Bench Challenge! We want to incentivize people to join the Speaker Bench so they can mentor newer speakers + share their experiences with members and sign up to speak at an Atlassian Community Event to enhance their public speaking skills. We’ve heard from Community Leaders that they’d love more speakers at their community events and we’ve heard from Speaker Bench members that they want more speaking opportunities. So, we’re here to help you out. :heart:

It wouldn’t be a challenge without a prize. Here’s what you can earn!:

• A Speaker Kit (this includes a ring light and microphone)

• Anyone who is a member of the Speaker Bench group and confirmed to speak at an Atlassian Community Event will be sent a Speaker Kit

image001 (5).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-28 at 2.01.01 PM.png

FAQ

How long will the challenge last?

The challenge starts on October 1, 2021 and ends on December 31, 2021

How do I get involved?

1. Join this group! (Speaker Bench) and then...

2. Sign up to speak at an upcoming Atlassian Community Event https://ace.atlassian.com/events/

Note: All cities (even without an upcoming event) can be found under 'Regions' on ace.atlassian.com.

Can Atlassians participate?

Yes! The Community loves hearing directly from Atlassian.

Can Community Leaders participate?

Yes! We ask that you speak at a chapter that you're not a Leader of (example: if you're a Leader in Austin, TX, you won't earn a Speaker Kit if you speak at your own event)

How do I get in contact with a Community Leader who hosts events?

1. Go to ace.atlassian.com
  2. Find a city to present at (example: https://ace.atlassian.com/berlin-brandenburg/)
  3. Click the blue “Contact the Host” button on the city page under Group Leaders and you’ll be able to email the Leader(s) directly. See picture attached

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 2.20.57 PM.png

How do I get a ring light and microphone?

Anyone who is confirmed to speak at an Atlassian Community Event will be sent a Speaker Kit (pictured above). Fill out this form if you’re speaking at an upcoming ACE so we have the most up-to-date shipping information.

Don't forget: you’ll need to provide the event URL from ace.atlassian.com on the form.

We're so excited to kick off this challenge and see more speakers at Atlassian Community Events! As always, let me know if you have any questions. 

Cassie

21 comments

Comment

Robin Stemmers September 29, 2021

Hello

I would be interested in this. But what do you talk about?  Do you set the topics?

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 29, 2021

Hey @Robin Stemmers ! Good question. Take a look at the upcoming events here to see a few different topics.

What do you feel most confident talking about? A lot of these events discuss Atlassian products in some capacity, but if there's something else you specialize in or think people would like to hear about.. you should reach out to a Community Leader!

Like # people like this

@Cassie Mayes I think I am doing something wrong.  For all the topics that would cover my space, there are no events.  Is that possible?

Like Sanjog Sigdel likes this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
September 29, 2021

All that means is we need you speaking at an event! :) You can start with reaching out to cities in your area and pitching your topic for a future event.

All cities can be found on ace.atlassian.com under 'Region'

Like # people like this

Hi @Cassie Mayes 

Apologies for the newbie dumbness, but I looked under Explore by region - South Africa is not even listed:(

2021-09-29 20_03_04-Atlassian Community Events.png

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
September 29, 2021

@Robin Stemmers I'm happy to help, Robin! I know it can be confusing if you're new to the ACE platform. Luckily, since most events are virtual, you don't have to only reach out to cities in your area. You can reach out to any of the cities you see listed that are in or around your time zone (so that it's more convenient timewise, but feel free to reach out to any city). I'm sure they'd be happy to have you speak! 

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2021

Hi @Robin Stemmers if you would like to speak for my chapter, you are most welcome with a topic name, agenda and 2 tentative dates on weekends (Sat or Sunday).

Here's my chapter link to reach out.

Happy weekend.

Like # people like this
Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2021

Amazing idea @Cassie Mayes Just sent across the form :)

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
September 29, 2021

@Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids Fabulous! A+

Like Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids likes this
Anand Inamdar_Amoeboids
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2021

Another one, @Cassie Mayes Just presented our app Automated release notes yesterday at a community event https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-rhein-main-presents-boost-productivity-with-automated-release-notes-for-jira/ 

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

This is an amazing initiative @Cassie Mayes and one you can definitely count me in for 😄

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
September 29, 2021
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2021

Hi @Cassie Mayes as always you are one of favorite community manager's given the energy and aura you carry on. I must say seeing this post and today's chapter event are pure co-incidence.

Due to personal emergency work, the main event speaker didn't turned up today and I wore the speaker's hat for the event#25.

So, what's the encouraging point? Two participants have started their free Trello trial after this session is concluded. So, that's the winning point for my speaker role today. I just filled the survey form you posted in this article and I believe I'm eligible for the "speaker kit" which helps me to be more open, clear in presentation and screen presence.

Happy weekend.

Like # people like this
Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 5, 2021

It's been a minute since I spoke at an ACE event.  Maybe I should change that!

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 6, 2021

You should! We'd love to have you speak at an ACE @Rodney Nissen 

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2021

@Cassie Mayes I spoke a few weeks ago and filled out the form immediately afterwards.  Is there any confirmation that everything is received and good to go?  I haven't heard anything since.

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
November 29, 2021

@Rodney Nissen I'll put you in contact with the team to see where your kit is! Be on the lookout for an email from me.

Like Rodney Nissen likes this
anna_waddell October 6, 2021

This is an awesome idea, and could greatly benefit the developers I work with.

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 7, 2021

Can't wait to see you speaking at an upcoming event! ;) @anna_waddell 

Jose Ramirez October 6, 2021

Hi,

I just led the migration to Jira Cloud of 3 large instances and we went through several complex cases and several situations that had not been presented in previous migrations. I would be interested in talking about the experience and suggesting the methodology we use to finally succeed.

Additionally, we are in my organization, Kaplan, in the Roll-out process of Advance roadmaps, integrated into the strategic planning process using OKRs. I think it is an attractive topic given that the advanced roadmaps option depends a lot on the ability to interact with the strategic planning model of the company.

Best,

José

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 7, 2021

AMAZING! @Jose Ramirez 

Alvaro Fabian Hernandez Ramirez
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2021

HI Cassie, happy to i join and help, today we have a Spanish Event in CHILE, everybody are invited to know the ecosystem tools and take the mic to help a latin america communit, this is the event  https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-santiago-presents-atlassian-conociendo-los-productos-en-nuestro-idioma/

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 7, 2021

Thanks for joining and including the link @Alvaro Fabian Hernandez Ramirez !!

meshack musembi October 7, 2021

This is amazing! @Cassie Mayes  you can definitely count me in.

Like Cassie Mayes likes this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 7, 2021

@meshack musembi Woohoo!!!

KEN MWAURA October 7, 2021

Definitely a dope initiative. Motivated to work on a presentation 

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 7, 2021

@KEN MWAURA I love to hear it!!

Sedera Randria
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2021

Great initiative. I just did a talk about Daily Scrums+Jira earlier today.
Feedback were excellent (ROTI 4.9/5). Would it be interesting to share it with the community ?

DailyScrum-Atlassian.png

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 7, 2021

I definitely think it would be great to share! Sounds right up the community's alley :) @Sedera Randria 

Like Sedera Randria likes this
prashant_gami
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2021

Cool stuff. Just filled out the form. I am speaking at a second event later this month, repeating the topic we presented in our Sydney event earlier. So looking forward to this.

Kush Saraiya October 8, 2021

Great initiative. I joined this group and filled out the form as well. Hope I receive the kit before my event on Oct 23 :)

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2021

I love this idea, and think the prize would be brilliant!  Just need to think of a topic I'd be happy to talk on, and then find someone willing to listen to me!!

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 12, 2021

We'd all be lucky to hear from you @Liam Green  :)

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2021

@Cassie Mayes this is just awesome. One might even say #Amazaballz...!

Sadly my Summer presenting Roadshow on my Trello and Confluence talks has wound down completely... BUT... as luck would have it, ACE Columbus could only do October and therefore:

ACE Columbus presents: When Collaboration is Torn: PTC's Lockdown Survival with Confluence 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 12, 2021

PS: Form submitted

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 12, 2021

@Andy - PTC Redundant woohoo! I love to see it

Ashish October 12, 2021

@Cassie Mayes  : Nice and interesting initiative 

speaking about jql and automation on 23rd oct at event #27 

Filled out the form.

Thanks
Ashish

Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2021

@Cassie Mayes was just informed of this by one of my partners. I have (2) apps gears towards Jira and Confluence admins. I checked the list of virtual events, but didn't really see a session where I thought presenting my apps and showing how they make life better for admins would fit.

Since I am new, I might be missing something and I definitely don't want to break the rules or give a bad impression, so I thought I'd ask and get some guidance. :)

Feel free to contact me directly to discuss. Have a wonderful day (and weekend)!

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 18, 2021

@Lorenzo Phillips hey! I reached out via email :) 

Ashish Saini October 23, 2021

Hi @Cassie Mayes : i spoke today at ACE event in Visakhapatnam group and was completed successfully..Thank you for the initiative.

Event link :

https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-visakhapatnam-presents-event27-jira-jql-and-automation/

@G subramanyam : Thank you for the oppurtunity.

Thanks
Ashish

Like # people like this
Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2021

Hi @Cassie Mayes

I'm struggling to find a way to post an event that I'd like to host and I think I'm a Community Leader now. Can you help direct me to the right place?

Also saw that Atlassian team '22 is looking for potential speakers as well? Any info on how to sign up to become one?

I'd love to talk about using Jira for project management and haven't seen a lot in this space although I've talked to quite a few people about it.

J

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
October 25, 2021

Hey @Jacob Vu !

Welcome to the Community Leader program. :) Your Community Manager, Erica Moss, is going to reach out to you to help with your first event and answer any questions you have around Team '22.

Like Jacob Vu likes this
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2021

Hello @Cassie Mayes 

This is a great initiative and I would like to participate. Could you please guide me on this?

Hakeem Olasupo
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Hey @Gaurav  ! Good question. Take a look at the upcoming events here to see a few different topics.

What do you feel most confident talking about? A lot of these events discuss Atlassian products in some capacity, but if there's something else you specialize in or think people would like to hear about.. you should reach out to a Community Leader!

CC @Cassie Mayes 

Like Gaurav likes this
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Hello @Hakeem Olasupo Thanks for the suggestion.

I feel most confident in talking about Automation in Jira Cloud. I would like to know if someone would be interested in hearing about that.

CC @Cassie Mayes @Tamanna Godara 

Like Hakeem Olasupo likes this
Vijay November 30, 2021

Hi Team, 
I am Vijay, I am glad to join this group and today I got a chance to speak for visakhapatnam Chapter. It's my first official Atlassian speaker.

Please see the event page along with the pictures - https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-visakhapatnam-presents-event31-an-overview-of-atlassians-bitbucket/

Like G subramanyam likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2021

Hi @Vijay we are happy to welcome you for "Visakhapatnam chapter" as a speaker and it's a nice session. We are looking forward to hear more of the Atlassian topics  in the coming months.

You may be eligible for a speaker kit as per this group initiative. Kindly fill out this Form if not already.

Nikkro
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2022

Hi Team,

I've completed the speaking session for visakhapatnam Chapter yesterday, here's the link and materials for your reference:

https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-visakhapatnam-presents-event37-what-you-may-encounter-during-agile-transformation/

Thanks.

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
February 11, 2022

Hey @Nikkro ! Thanks for reaching out. This challenge is closed but I'll be sure to tag you in the next one. There will be more opportunities to earn a Speaker Kit :)

Like Nikkro likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events