STRUCTURE progress bar: parent issue progress is always 0

Chris Leger January 8, 2014

Hi,

I've set up a progress bar in structure based on a custom percent field, with all sub-issues weighted equally. However, the parent issue's progress is always showing 0 even when child issues have a non-ero value in their field. For example, in the screenshot below, the progress of "UX Top-level specification" is 0 even though a child issue has a progress of 100%. We are NOT using sub-issues in our JIRA installation; we're only using Structure to represent hierarchy. Also, the parent and child issues are of different issue types, if that matters. (I've tried this with and without the "Verification Definition" custom field being part of the parent's issue type.)

Thanks,

Chris

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

Chris, is it possible that some of the children issues do not value any value in the "Verification Definition" field? I suppose the aggregate progress calculation may bail out if the progress of one of the children issues is unknown. What happens if you set the field value on all those fields to "0"?

Chris Leger January 9, 2014

Thanks for the response. The children all have the "Verification Definition" field set to 0 (other than the one that shows some progress).

I tried another example where there's only one child, and the same result happens. I can manually set the "Verification Definition" field of the parent and that shows up in the progress bar (regardless of the child's percent complete). I've tried including and removing Verification Definition from the parent's field configuration, and that doesn't matter.

One other thing comes to mind: we're using JIRA 5.2.11. Could that be causing problems?

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2014

Chris, thanks for the update. Oh, another thought - since you have the parent % also set to 0, it may override that aggregate value. If this field is not mandatory, could you try removing the value from the parent issue? Just start editing it, and leave the field empty and apply. Does that help?

0 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2014

Hi Chris,

How many child issues do you have underneath FIR-720? Is it possible that the actual aggregate percentage works out to be less than 0.5%?

Structure reports progress as a rounded whole number, so any less than 0.5% will be reported as 'zero'.

Chris Leger January 8, 2014

Hi Robert,

That's a good guess, but there are only 6 children under FIR-720 (it's not obvious from the screenshot).

Thanks,

Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events