How to import worklogs from excel

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

I'm using Tempo plugin, is there a way I can import worklogs using an excel file?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

Hey,

I don't know if Tempo has its own CSV or Excel import. I does have REST API which allows it: https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO/Tempo+Servlet+Manual#TempoServletManual-UpdateWorklogs

Alternatively you can use CSV importer (bundled with JIRA) to import worklog from Excel (which you need to save first into CSV format) directly to JIRA.

It's documented at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV (see Importing Worklog section).

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2013

In fact that's good information. I'll check the REST API solution, in the meanwhile I hope @Sverrir can tell if using the CSV Importer will be the same for the Tempo, because I really don't know if it's the same.

Vinayak N May 25, 2017

Hi, I was trying to upoad WorkLog. However I am not able to map that to any of the Jira fields. Am I missing something?

marton_lipcsik October 20, 2017

Here is my sample for worklog CSV import. The first line is the CSV header, the next lines are the data for worklog entries.

There are some required columns for the CSV importer, you have to place in your CSV. That is why the "project_name", "project_type", "project_key", and "Summary" columns are in the CSV.

What info do you need for a worklog entry?

1.) ISSUE the user worked on->"issue_key" column

2/a worklog entry description
2/b Day of work
2/c time the work started 
2/d user who worked 
2/e work duration (JIRA only accepts in seconds)

the 2.) a+b+c+d+e data is in the "Worklog" column

You can see, the column delimiter is (,), but inside the "Worklog" column the worklog entry data delimiter is (;)

The Summary column contains the summary field text of the ISSUE where you want to import the worklog entry.

project_name,project_type,project_key,issue_key,Summary,Worklog
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description1;2017.11.09 12:30;mlipcsik;3600
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description2;2017.11.09 13:30;mlipcsik;3600
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description3;2017.11.09 14:30;mlipcsik;3600
RR-IMP-F03 RFP,software,RRIMPF03,RRIMPF03-10,Summary of the ISSUE,worklog entry description4;2017.11.09 12:30;mlipcsik;3600

CSV import steps:

1.) Select the CSV file and [Next] button

2.) Select "Defined in CSV" on the "Import to project" option

3.) Date format is dispayed the system default date format, and you have to use the same format in your CSV. My date format is "yyyy.MM.dd HH:mm", that is why I use "2017.11.09 12:30" in my CSV

[Next] button

4.) JIRA field mapping page, map the fields like this:

CSV field - JIRA field

Summary - Summary

Worklog - Worklog (in seconds)

issue_key - Issue Key

project_type - Project type

project_key - Project key

project_name - Project name

I did not checked any "Map field value" options, but it also works, if you check it.

[Next] button

[Begin import]

Result

From all CSV line (except the header) a new worklog entry has been created. The worklog entry appears on the ISSUE page (also in the Tempo section and on the Worklogs pane if you have Tempo add-on installed, and Tempo budget folio automatically shows the loaded HR costs.

Like Haidar Hajj-Ali likes this
Jitendra Kashyap October 8, 2018

@marton_lipcsik

Hi Marton,

We are using work attributes in tempo timesheet for our JIRA.

Is there a way we can import work attributes value as well along within CSV for worklog as above?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events