EVM based on a single issue?

Richard Way March 25, 2014

Hi there,

We are evaluating Folio to handle our EVM reporting (currently a labor intensive query/excel process). Our integrations between our current system and JIRA limit us to 1 issue per project. When we log time to a project, we also indicate a completion percent or estimate to completion. Is it possible to set Folio up in a similar way where the EVM are based on the Remaining Effort and Original Estimate for a single issue rather than the completion state of multiple issues?

Thanks,

-Rick

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kitologic Inc.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

Hi Richard,

In FOLIO 5.1 we have introduced the progressively earned value. I am pretty sure that it will nicely answer your need :)

The "progressively earned value" allows you to get credited for earned value on issues proportionally to their degree of completion. This degree of completion for an issue is computed as follow:

Degree of completion = Total Time Spent / ( Total time spent + Remaining Estiomate)

So the partial earned value of the issue is then

Partial Earned Value = Original Estimate * Degree of completion

By default, FOLIO does not use progressively earned value. This setting can be set in the folio's configuration under the "Earning Rule' section. You can set your folio to apply the progressively earned value to all issues or only on a specific set of issues based on a label set.

So in your case you would have a folio where the scope is the 1 issue of the project.
The folio would have its "progressively earned value" rule set to all issues.

Let me know if this answers your need or not :)

Cheers,
JC

Richard Way March 25, 2014

Score!

This must have been a recent release, I just installed Folio last week. The Progressive Earned Value option is exactly what I needed!

Thanks,

-Rick

Kitologic Inc.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2014

The timing was actually good...
FOLIO 5.1 was released last night :)

Cheers
JC

0 votes
Josh July 6, 2021

Hi Richard, I would also recommend this app for seeing EVM at the issue-level: 

Aneto Project Accounting System with Earned Value Management 

Josh

Aneto

0 votes
Kitologic Inc.
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2014

You can also check FOLIO's documentation for all details about Progressive Earned Value and how it is calculated.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events