Checklist - Workflow post function - replace

LynF September 19, 2016

Hi 

I thought I would let you know this (in case you are not aware).  I was trying to test the a workflow that i will be implementing on the weekend by (before actually disabling checklist items in field configuration) by the following steps

1.  On the create transition I set up a number of Modify checklist post functions, selected the checklist and selected Replace.   I left the checklist empty.   In theory this should have cleared the checklist (as it should have been replaced with an empty checklist)
  2. Instead of clearing the checklist, the checklist was created based on the field configuration.  It was as if the post functions on the create transition did not even exist
  3. When I ran my transitions to control the items in the checklist the values were APPENDED not REPLACED.  Even tho the replace option was selected. 

I think you should address this.   Either there should have been no action with the transition or it should have worked as intended.  It should not have been appended to the values generated from field configuration. 

If choose not to update this, that is your call.  However you should at the very least update your documentation to make this very very clear. 

At the very least you should warn users. 

Lyn

2 answers

0 votes
LynF September 20, 2016

Thanks Yves.   I wasnt actually expecting you to change anything.  I just think the documentation should reflect the actual behaviour

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 20, 2016

Hi Lyn,

If I understood correctly, you still have checklist items set as options in the field configuration section. If that is the case, then what you have observed is the expected behavior. The post-functions will only replace the "issue level" checklist items, not the "global" items. The logic for option items is that they are always added to the issue no matter what thus making them truly global. If you want the checklist to be cleared during a transition, then all items in the checklist need to be either manually created or created via a post-workflow transition.

I have updated the documentation to ensure that this behavior is better understood  by users. Thanks for mentioning it and sorry for the confusion.

Yves

rich johnson June 8, 2017

Yves, I know I'm almost a year late to the party, but I found this post becuase I had the exact same question Lyn had.  Now I am curious how I can create issue level checklists as you mention above, since my case is the same as hers, where I want to replace all check list items on transition. Specifically, I am looking for how to create checklist items on a post workflow transition, not manual.

Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 8, 2017

Hi Rich,

Issue level simply means that the items are created when one edit the issue vs global items when one create options in the configuration page.

To create items during a transition, refer to this link:

https://okapya.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHK/Modifying+a+Checklist+in+a+workflow

The items that you will add in the post function are also "issue levels". Therefore, they will replace what ever was added as items while editing the issue.

If you are unfamiliar with creating post workflow functions, simple read the links provided in the information box at the top of the page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events