Want to take Atlasssian Data Center on Kubernetes for a test drive?

Gaby Cardona
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2021

As we mentioned in our intro post, the Data Center deployments (DCD) team has been hard at work building this new deployment option. We’ve done a lot of testing with our internal teams to make sure that we’re meeting your requirements, but we’d love your help and your feedback to continue to improve.

Beginning June 1st 2021, we’re launching a beta program for those of you who want to try deploy and run Data Center on a K8 cluster using our new helm charts. Now, this isn’t your typical beta program. The idea is that you leverage our documentation to get up and running. As you go through the process, you can leave your feedback in the comments section.

If you’re interested in participating, leave a comment down below.

7 comments

Comment

amit raj June 15, 2021

Hi Gaby,

This is great news, we would like to be part of Beta Testing. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you

Like Adam Brokes likes this
Gaby Cardona
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2021

Hi @amit raj

Excited to hear that you're interested. As we mentioned, this isn't a typical beta program, so all you need to do is head over to our documentation. There, you'll find the helm charts and step-by-step instructions on how to use them. 

We're excited to hear what you think smile

Like amit raj likes this
Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
June 16, 2021

Hey @[deleted] , glad that you are open to try our BETA, I am the product manager working alongside with Gaby on the feature. Please do let us know whether you find BETA useful to your deployment of our product in K8s environment, and second, what would you suggest us to improve/fix in GA or next release 

Cheers!

amit raj June 17, 2021

Hi @Gaby Cardona  @Mike Ni  

Thank you. I will test this deployment option and share my findings with you.

Thank you 

Like # people like this
Tom Francis June 17, 2021

Hi @Gaby Cardona 

Great to see this new community space!

I am actually working on a project where we are evaluating moving our Atlassian suite to a containerised solution. I initially planned to create my own Helm charts using the existing Docker containers, but I discovered this initiative early on and I have been following along for a few months now.

It's great to see that there is a lot of work going on in this space, with daily commits and updates.

Is there any forum to 'chat' about this solution? Like, if (when) I run in to problems, I feel like it would be easier to ask about it in a chat forum rather than open an issue in the github project or start a thread in here - just in case i'm doing something silly :)

If I should just do one of the above, then that's fine too. I actually have an issue right now with Bitbucket and need to start dialog.

It's great that you have this space now and I look forward to what it brings, and maybe some contributions from myself.

Thanks,

Tom...

Like amit raj likes this
Gaby Cardona
Atlassian Team
June 17, 2021

Hi @Tom Francis

You can actually use this space as your forum laugh Our goal was to create a single place where we could all interact with each other, so feel free to leave comments on this article, or create your own post in our space. 

I'm responding a little and I think you actually created a post already, which is great.

We're excited to have you join us and keen to hear your thoughts.

Juan Pablo Roig July 12, 2021

Hello, we are running our version of Jira DC on GKE.

I took a look at the HELM chart and are very helpful, but our implementation is using a couple of different tools:

1. Instead of regular Ingress rules, we are using Istio.
  2. For the shared-storage we are using, rook-nfs

We are facing some issue (ecache communication using istio, nfs halts after nod upgrades) and I was wondering if you have any recommendation on that, or if you tested those tools and you've discarded them because anything specific.

Thanks

Like amit raj likes this
Adam Brokes
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2021

@Juan Pablo Roig , good to hear you are testing the helm charts!

Istio environment is not very suitable for running the applications as it introduces several tight requirements for the workloads that will make operating the stack very hard.

From our experience in some real environments, it is better to arrange an exception for the Atlassian helm charts in Istio and then see if the issues still persist.

If you disable Istio proxy and still have issues with shared storage, please share your issue with some additional details and we will try to help you get going.

Like amit raj likes this
Juan Pablo Roig July 21, 2021

Thanks Adam.

Related to Istio, we are using it right now in production for our Jira DC implementations, can you please expand on the analysis you guys did on it and what are the tight requirements that introduces?

On the shared storage, I think the problem it is not related to Istio, and it is probably related to rook-nfs, have you guys considered/tested using that?

Thanks

Like amit raj likes this
DVAG Support August 12, 2021

Hello together,

great news :)

Do you have any time considerations / ideas until the BETA phase will be completed and K8s will be officially supported?

Thanks.

Like amit raj likes this
Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
August 12, 2021

Hi DVAG,

We will end BETA and release the official version by end of Q3 2021. Stay tuned with our public roadmap page 

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/data-center?status=comingSoon&search=kubernetes 

Cheers

Like # people like this
DVAG Support August 16, 2021

Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply and the link.

Like amit raj likes this
Mic August 23, 2021

Hi team.

We have been successfully running Jira DC, Confluence DC and Bitbucket DC in production on Kubernetes for almost 2 years.

We have 3 different Kubernetes clusters in AWS using EKS and a collection of our custom Terraform scripts, Helm charts, docker builds.

Some brief statistics of our instances:

Bitbucket: Projects 787, Repositories 2668, Users 1000
Jira: Issue Types 222, Issues 690066, Projects 960, Users 3000
Confluence: Total Spaces 214, Content (All Versions) 827646, Users 3000

There are a lot of moving parts to our implementation and configuration so please feel free to reach out to me for some more information.

Like # people like this
Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2021

It is exciting to hear this info. We may reach out later to learn more from your experiences on Terraform.

And your expertise is definitely valuable to every member in this group!

Cheers

Mike Ni

Mohammed Faisal December 2, 2022

Hi Mic, Good to see you migrated multiple products onto EKS, I was looking for some information on how the database is being tied up to the pods(JIRA), I am not sure if I can directly message you here on this community.

Munjal Patel August 31, 2021

We cannot load OBR file plugins using additionalBundledPlugins in values.yaml file. Jar file plugins works but for OBR file Jira is showing "This app couldn't be loaded. It has one or more errors that prevent it from being enabled."

Like amit raj likes this
Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
September 1, 2021

Hi @Munjal Patel

obr's cannot be loaded in this way, only their .jar equivalents. Plugin obr files can be extracted (unzipped) to access the included .jar

Ive also updated the Github issue you raised regarding this with some additional detail.

Bryan Guffey September 13, 2021

Will this support exist in Jira Server as well, or only Data Center? I know DC is mostly just a license change that enables additional functionality in DC. Thanks!

Like amit raj likes this
Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2021

Hi @Bryan Guffey, thanks for the question.

In short no. To realise the benefits that K8s provides through a clustered environment, the Helm Chart's utilize the existing Atlassian Data Center Docker images.

Thanks,

Dylan.

Like amit raj likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events