Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Data Center - Best Way to Migrate Existing Data to New Instance

Lucas Rodriguez October 1, 2021

Just discovered this group as I am searching for answers, so that is great!

I am fairly new to deploying apps in Kubernetes with Helm and really the entire ecosystem. 

We have an existing instance of Bitbucket Server running in Kubernetes that was deployed with community-provided Helm charts I believe.

After upgrading to the Data Center edition, I deployed it as a completely separate app using the official Atlassian Data Center Helm charts on GitHub using a newer Docker image as well. Everything seems to be running just fine, but I am at a bit of a loss as to the best way to migrate the data (projects, repositories, etc) from our old Bitbucket instance to the new one. 

Database: AWS RDS Postgresql 

Filesystem: AWS EFS (I am aware of the issues of using EFS with BB, but that shouldn't be related to migrating data.)

1 comment

Comment

Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2021

Hi @Lucas Rodriguez ,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the official charts and images. In terms of migrating, what you can do is make a snapshot of your existing RDS DB and use that to restore a new database. All you need to do then is update the chart values.yaml to point to that DB and redeploy.

With regards migrating your existing EFS data, you can use AWS DataSync, see below for details:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/efs-file-sync-faster-file-transfer-to-amazon-efs-file-systems/

Dylan.

Like Lucas Rodriguez likes this
Lucas Rodriguez October 4, 2021

Thanks for the response, Dylan. 

I was able to successfully restore the existing database into the new one. It appears that it really only populated the "Projects" data in the app. I am still lacking all of the repositories. I tried to use the 'kubectl cp' command to transfer the repositories data from one pod to the other. The data transferred just fine in the pods, but it had no effect on showing the repos in the app UI even after restarting the pod. I will have to look into AWS DataSync. Our existing instance isn't using EFS as the filesystem, so I am not sure whether I can still use that method or not. 

Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2021

Hey @Lucas Rodriguez 

BB stores its repos in the shared filesystem (shared-home) which is why you probably cannot seem them for your new instance. I believe DataSync should work with any shared file system service that AWS supports, so unless you're using something else it should be able to assist.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events