Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you wish you had known before starting the migration process?

First start anything, we need have clear ideas and we have to plan any step before. If we wanna migrate to a cloud instance, as I wrote in a blog post, Use your head.

Plan all

Before execute a migration from server/on premise to cloud instance, think about features you use on Atlassian Tool in your environment. 

Make a list of functionalities and classify them, so you can understand if are:

• Standard (common feature between server and cloud). We can use in both instances;
  • Specific for server or cloud. Here we have a problem Risultati immagini per problem

For this second point, check all addons/apps installed and check which is used. In my experience, I always migrate instances with a tons of addons but only 2-3 were really used :-)

For each addon/app check if exists in cloud environment 

• If yes, no problem. Check how migrate the data from server version 
  • If no, ok. Set PanicMode = ON :-P 

If addon doesn't exists in cloud, well, this is the workaround :

• check if exists another one in cloud environment and test it. If cover all needs, analyze how convert information from server addon to cloud addon

• if some needs are not covered, check if others addons can help us and test them
  • If you don't find another addon, well I believe this is not possible: the number of cloud addon increases every day and all functionalities are covered :D

An Example

In MrAddon blog, I've described how create calculated fields both in Server/on premise and cloud environments. 

So we have possible solution if we have to migrate a server instance with calculated fields.  

Conclusion

This is the first step of a big process. So:

• Use your head and mainly commonsense .
  • Take your time and remember: Rome wasn't built in a day. 

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events