What I learned from Community members on migrating to Cloud

Hi everyone!

When I woke up this morning, I noticed an article posted on the Atlassian Work Life blog that quickly caught my eye titled "Here’s what you should know about Cloud migration, according to those who’ve been there."  And when I read through, I was thrilled to see so many great learnings our Community members were willing to share about their migration experience, such as:

• Cloud has evolved a lot over the past couple of years. If you researched Atlassian Cloud before and found it wasn’t for you, it’s time to take another look.
  • Migrations can be more complex but also easier than expected. Planning your strategy now can help.
  • How Cloud features, like Sandboxes, are getting admins excited.
  • ...and many more!

Check out the full article yourself, and let us know what advice helped you or what else you'd like to learn from the Community.

Today affirmed to me the power of the Atlassian Community both as a knowledge resource and a place to empower others. Big shoutout to @Mike Rathwell @Ignacio Aredez @Sri Kumar @Dave Liao @G subramanyam @Deepanshu Natani @Hana Kučerová and so many others for sharing your story!

10 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

💪

Like Stephanie Grice likes this
Bernhard Breit September 21, 2021

Dear @Jacob Wisner!

If you or any of your other cloud fanboys can show me a way to migrate to the cloud that does the two following things, then I am gonna cheer for the cloudy thing, too.

a) I am not opposed to migrating to "the cloud" ... wherever that may be, BUT: My data, my content that I typed into my confluence server hour after hour, that data will NOT leave my basement. Can your cloud do that?

b) My confluence server is installed on an Ubuntu 18.04 server running on an intel NUC with an i7 CPU and 32GB RAM, the database resides on an NVMe SSD drive. I dare you prove that ANY cloud nonsense will perform at least halfway comparable to that machine sitting squat here in the middle of my Gigabit LAN. Can your cloud do that?

Goodbye, confluence, I really loved you.

Goodbye Atlassian, you´re none better than all the other profit-1st outfits. Go stick your head in a pig!

´nuff said!

Angry B.

Jacob Wisner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2021

Hi @Bernhard Breit ! To answers your questions, our Cloud data centers are hosted on AWS cloud infrastructure. If you're curious you can read more about our cloud hosting here.

Also, we're committed to actively work on making our Cloud products faster. Recently, we implemented a single page application (SPA) framework to help speed up loads times and reduced the bundle size of data in your browser. And we've already seen a huge improvement in JSW and ConfluenceIn 2021, one of our most popular features, Jira Roadmaps, is now 1.5x faster than ever before, and most Confluence pages now load 2x faster. And we’re committed to continuing to increase performance even more!

I understand this doesn't meet everyone's requirements. The good news is that the Server license you have is perpetual. You can still renew it through February 2024 and get updates. After February 2022, the Server updates will be limited to security fixes, and after February 2024 there won't be any updates at all - but your license will continue to be yours.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Bernhard Breit September 24, 2021

Hmm. Now if you could show me a way to re-install that license which "will continue to be mine" onto a new machine or a new OS without having to validate it, then I could accept what you write as "good news" indeed. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but till now every time I moved my confluence installation I had to provide a license - which for simplicity I did by just buying a new one for the new machine. Nevertheless, is there a way to take a license to another machine and will that work even when the license is expired?

Jacob Wisner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2021

Hi @Bernhard Breit Sorry for the delayed response, but I wanted to look into this issue deeper for you to give you the correct answer and understanding of the process.

After the license has expired, you should be fine to move it to another machine. The Server ID is required only when the license is renewed or activated for the first time. After 2024, no one will be able to renew, so you will not be prompted to do so.

What’s likely happened in the past is that after any rebuild there is an upgrade to the latest version. If you renew one year at a time, there is a good chance that you had to pull a renewed license in order to make the upgrade work. That will not be the case if you try to move your license to another machine after 2024.

Hope this helps!

Like # people like this
Bernhard Breit October 1, 2021

Thanks @Jacob Wisner for the answer, means that I can drag my feet a bit more till I finally will have to move to some other documentation tool - but move I must because sooner or later a software that is no longer maintained will run into trouble.

There is one hope that remains - that Atlassian will find their good heart and provide a regularly updated community version of Confluence without support or anything. Would not cause much trouble, just copy the datacenter distribution, provide it with a built in general community license that limits it to 10 users and thats it. Why not?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2021

@Bernhard Breit - in case you haven't seen this, Atlassian is providing Community licenses for their Data Center products. Like the Server Community licenses now, you'll need to apply annually for them.

I don't have any personal experience with the Community license program, but hope that's useful. TGIF!

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2021

💪💪💪

Like Jacob Wisner likes this
Bernhard Breit October 4, 2021

Hi @Dave Liao and thanks for your hint. Unfortunately, I do not think that I will be able to persuade Atlassian that I am a non-profit organisation or something of the kind. It´s just me, lonesome me, and myself and us three dont have no organisation. So maybe I will give it a try and go through that validation process in order to get hold of a datacenter license ... we´ll see.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

Another great read @Jacob Wisner. I read the blog post at the time it was released, but re-read it again after coming across your summary today, and appreciated it more. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events