The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant is here!

ECM-269_T2-Blog-illo_CloudvsServer-1120x545_v01.jpg

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant beta (JCMA) is here to help you migrate from server to cloud with greater flexibility and transparency. A free app on Atlassian Marketplace, JCMA supports project-by-project migration from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.

Before the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, there were two roundabout ways to migrate to cloud, with compromises. You could use site backup/restore which completely overwrites data in the destination, does not support per-project and instance merges and is unsuitable for larger migrations due to reliability issues. Another option is CSV migration which has 1,000 issues per CSV limit and requires workaround for attachment, issue links, versions, and sprint data.

Today, whether migrating server data to a new or existing cloud site, the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant significantly cuts down migration time by moving only the data you need at the time that works best for you. JCMA takes out the unknowns of migration that can result in failures by eliminating common errors and providing real-time migration progress updates.

Simply install the app in Jira Server and follow the steps below:

1. Sign-in to cloud and choose your target cloud site

2. Clear your preflight checks

3. Select some projects

4. Decide what you want to do with product access

• Grant or not

5. Click run and the app will move your users & groups, projects, issues, config and attachments for you.

Ready to take the next step?

You'll need a Jira Cloud site set up before migrating with the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant. If you haven’t already, start a free extended cloud trial to get started. JCMA requires that your Jira Server site runs on version 7.6 or above.

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant beta should be used when:

• Migrating Jira Software or Jira Core Server sites to new Jira Software or Jira Core Cloud sites.

• Migrating Jira Server projects or users and groups to a Jira Cloud site.

• Atlassian Support has recommended using it.

We’re here to help

Check out the documentation to learn when to use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, what does and does not get migrated with the app, and how to walk through each step of the migration process. Additionally, you can visit our Cloud Migration Center to learn more about cloud migrations. Need help? Contact us.

We will continue to update the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant based on customer feedback. Please share any thoughts or questions you have below.

7 comments

Comment

mbutusk March 10, 2020

Sounds great!

shailendra_Tiwari March 11, 2020

it has to be used with caution.

TIS Admin March 25, 2020

Great to have this tool ready finally!

I tried it but my first test failed and I cannot find any solution for this yet. Here are the steps to reproduce:

• Created a simple project on the local Jira Server with one issue and few attachments. (standard, fresh installation)
  • Run the Migration Assistant
    • Chose 'Users will not have access to Jira'
  • Finally, the migration error log contains the following
We couldn't import Project Role 'atlassian-addons-project-access' because of 10 missing dependencies: User 'addon_jira-trello-integration', 
User 'addon_atlassian-outlook-integration',
User 'addon_com.codebarrel.addons.automation',
User 'addon_com.atlassian.jira.spreadsheets',
User 'addon_com.github.integration.production',
User 'addon_com.atlassian.servicedesk.embedded',
User 'addon_stspg-jira-ops',
User 'addon_jsd-slack-integration',
User 'addon_jira-workplace-integration',
User 'addon_jira-slack-integration'.
This caused 8 other items to fail. Check the reasons for the missing dependencies on your server site.

I checked we have 'atlassian-addons-project-access' project role in both the server and the cloud Jira. I don't know what are these other dependencies? Obviously, these add-ons automatically installed on the Cloud Jira that I can't remove. I can't install the same on Server Jira. So what? Any idea?

Aktar April 12, 2020

Dear Support,

I am having problem with importing the projects from JIRA server to Cloud.

Details:

I have used Bugzilla plugin to import the projects from Bugzilla to JIRA server [Jira Software 7.13.13].

Import happened successfully.

Now I am trying to migrate the projects from JIRA server to my JIRA cloud account using the JIRA Cloud migration assistant.

Every time its failing with "Priority not assigned issue", whereas I have assigned priority to the issues in projects.

2020-04-12 17:52:50.249 ERROR Project-Mark1 project-export Issue Project-Mark1-1 has no priority. Assign a priority to this issue.
2020-04-12 17:52:50.327 ERROR Project-Mark1 project-export Issue Project-Mark1-3 has no priority. Assign a priority to this issue.
2020-04-12 17:52:50.359 ERROR Project-Mark1 project-export Issue Project-Mark1-4 has no priority. Assign a priority to this issue.
2020-04-12 17:52:50.391 ERROR Project-Mark1 project-export Issue Project-Mark1-5 has no priority. Assign a priority to this issue.
2020-04-12 17:52:50.423 ERROR Project-Mark1 project-export Issue Project-Mark1-6 has no priority. Assign a priority to this issue.
2020-04-12 17:52:50.455 ERROR Project-Mark1 project-export Issue Project-Mark1-7 has no priority. Assign a priority to this issue.

Please guide/suggest me to complete this migration.

Thanks in advance.

Maurizio May 2, 2020

@aktar

Try running this JQL to see if you actually have empty Priorities for these issues

project = "Project-Mark1" and priority is EMPTY

This should show you if you have an empty priority field. If so add a priority and you should be able to proceed with your migration.

Hope this helps.

However, a question does remain for Atlassian. Why would a priority field be mandatory during this process especially if Priority is optional for the project you are importing? This looks like a bug I think.

Santhosh Srirambhatla June 30, 2020

I am also  trying to migrate the projects from JIRA server to my JIRA cloud account using the JIRA Cloud migration assistant.

Every time its failing with "Priority not assigned issue", whereas I could see the priority are assigned to the issues in projects. any solution /approach to fix for it?

Reinhold Jaekle April 20, 2021

Hello all,

I  try to migrate a project from a JIRA server to a clound instance.

But I get an error (onyl 29 % is migrated)

Here is the first line of the error log file.

2021-04-20 09:35:51.913 ERROR NMP2 project-import We couldn't import Board 'NMP board'. Reason: column.0.name: Status "Offen" in Statuszuordnungen wiederholt. This caused 7269 other items to fail.

the german phrase :

Status "Offen" in Statuszuordnungen wiederholt

means

Status "Open" repeated in status assignments.

I think this is the root cause.

Any help and idea is more than welcome

Thanks  in advance

Reinhold

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events