Retiring IE11 support for Jira and Confluence Cloud Migration Assistants

After the release of Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer (IE) has not received any major updates, or added support for many modern web standards. Recently, Microsoft also announced that Microsoft 365 apps and Microsoft Teams and services will no longer support IE11. Atlassian products, ranging from Cloud, Server and Data Center have already announced the end of support for IE11 in an older community post. This now extends to our Cloud Migration Assistants - both for Jira and Confluence.

What does end of support for IE11 mean

End of support means we will  no longer fix bugs that are specific to IE11, and will begin to introduce features that aren't compatible with this browser.

When is this happening

With the next release of Cloud Migration Assistants, we will officially end support for IE11. The planned date is October 12, 2020.

What does this mean for Admins facilitating the server to cloud migration

In preparation for the end of support dates, we recommend switching to one of our supported browsers, such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox to use the Cloud Migration Assistants.

Please comment below with any additional questions and a member of the Atlassian team will be sure to assist you. If you have any technical or compatibility concerns with this move, please contact support.

6 comments

Comment

Kent September 24, 2020

You have closed for customers to access Jira Service Desk portals just out of the blue! This is extremely critical!

Radhika Patodiya
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2020

Hi @Kent

Thanks for voicing out your concern. Microsoft recently ended support for Microsoft 365 apps and Microsoft Teams and services on IE11. Also, Atlassian have been incrementally moving away from IE11 due to lack of updates and other security concerns. In our previous post, we've mentioned when this will happen and have also updated our documentation for supported browsers.

Currently the customers using IE11 will be redirected to this page and we're continuously working on how to improve the experience for our customers :)

Kent September 27, 2020

As a support tool you have not taken the customer into account. What is the end customer supposed to do if they are not allowed to get a compatible browser. You have left no option for a company like ours to give them an alternative option to reach our support. This means that we have no way of in some way serve all the users (which are thousands) using old browsers. That is simply a horrible way of solving this! This forces us to do all kind og workarounds before sending them to our support. That can be solved in a much better way.

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2020

I am glad that Atlassian has taken this step - the end of IE11 support. This is an old browser that definitely needs to be replaced with a more modern one. In my company, I mainly solve performance problems with IE11 - users complain that Jira and Confluence are slow, but when they use, for example, Google Chrome, everything starts working as it should. I understand that many companies still use IE11 as the only possible corporate browser, but even in these companies this needs to change.

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2020

I feel that this will drastically improve customer experience - having worked in QA, IE11 was by far the most unpredictable browser for websites and applications, with random unexpected bugs and visual issues appearing constantly. Whilst companies often only allow the use of IE11 or Edge as the browser of choice on company laptops, the overall usage of IE11 is still going down and maybe this is what those companies need to move to other, more up-to-date browsers.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2020

With Edge Chromium now supporting both Chromium tabs and Trident tabs using the enterprise.xml and group policy I feel like this will soon become a non-problem for most businesses.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events