Post-migration redirects?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2021

Assume you're migrating from Server to Cloud and your teammates have emails and documents and post-its with URLs for Jira tickets and Confluence pages for your server environment.  Now you've moved everything to the Cloud but everyone has their old links in documents, emails, etc.  For example, links to specific issues, calendars, boards, projects... things that would not change.

Is there a way to do some sort of internal redirect, maybe through one's own DNS, to direct people to the Cloud environment?

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan

right! And it will depend heavily on what you have in place for (commonly) a reverse proxy, or at least, what IT team is willing to setup for that case (you would have to do it in your own network - I think this is what you meant anyway).

Simplest (I know, a lot of things to consider here) thought is a redirect on reverse proxy, or let's say, webserver basis.
In wild life probably an Apache server, or nginx one, operated in your network doing the needed re-write of URLs.

"A lot of things to consider"? - yes, meant in a way there are several URL schemes you would all have to catch (not just /browse/TEST-123), you probably know all of them better than I can now list here.

Something to start, however not agnostic:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/rewrite/intro.html

Cheers,
Daniel

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2021

Thanks!  The back end piece I think IT has figured out - the concern is figuring out what/how to redirect.  So I found this post last night:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Redirecting-from-Server-to-Cloud-which-URLs-to-handle/qaq-p/1693539

For Jira this pattern emerged:

• Individual issues. /browse/<issue reference>
  • All issues in a project. /projects/<project key>/issues/<issue reference>
  • Project configuration. /projects/<project key>?<something>
  • Backlog. /secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=<board ref>&view=planning.nodetail
  • Kanban. As for backlog but without the view specified
Like Belinda Baker likes this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2021

Ah - great, this is even useful for something I have to fix, so ... thanks for investigating.
Yes, this list (if complete, working, nicely maintained, ...) seems to be the heart of the redirecting logic.
This will be fun when Apps come into play like the poster on the linked thread (also thanks for finding that!) said.

So, long story short, doable - but a lot of redirects, fun!

Like Rob Horan likes this
0 votes
Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan ,

Atlassian performs this post- migration link fixing as we do it in the Database in bulk, so if you have a MOVE ticket open you can request the Migration Support Engineer to help you with this.

Cheers,

Amna 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2021

Hi @Amna Elabbas ,

Thanks, but that's not what I meant.  (though I am curious as to how this is different from the Jira macro repair) I updated my description for clarity.

Most of us have documents and emails and post-its with links that we use all the time.  No script of back end work can change our personal data.  We still have those links, and when we try to go to them post-migration we're going to get a 404 or something like that because the server will be gone.

So I assume there must be a way for organizations to internally redirect URLs based on a prefix, so if they see jira.acme.com:8080/jira/browse/ABC-123 they can redirect to acme.atlassian.net/browse/ABC-123

Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan ,

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events