Join one of our 6 early access programs for migration tooling

Hi Community,

I’m Partha, the Head of Cloud Migrations at Atlassian. We are committed to making it as easy as possible for our customers to move to cloud and have been actively investing in our cloud migration tooling over the past few years.

Today, I’m excited to announce 6 migration-related early access programs coming over the next 6 months. These are opportunities for migrating customers to try out improvements to our migration tooling early, before the capabilities are widely available. If you want some extra tooling to use as you migrate - and you’re comfortable using and providing feedback on Beta software - these programs are for you. Early access programs are an important way that customers can influence Atlassian’s product roadmap.

We’re running early access programs for the following migration functionality: 

1. Automated app migrations: Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant (learn more here)
  2. Automated app migrations: Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (learn more here)

3. Jira cloud to cloud migrations (We have reached capacity and are no longer recruiting customers for this program) 

4. Jira Service Management migrations

5. Advanced Roadmap migrations

6. Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant

How do I sign up?

If you sign up, but something changes and you can no longer participate, you can leave the program at any time.

• Fill out this survey.

• Indicate which program(s) you’d like to participate in. Feel free to sign up for more than one!

• Stay tuned. To share updates and instructions on how to activate the capabilities via feature flags, we’ll either send you a new MOVE ticket (if you don’t already have one) or communicate through your existing MOVE ticket. MOVE tickets are Atlassian support tickets on getsupport.atlassian.com. These programs will start at various times over the next 6 months, so if we’re not quite ready for a MOVE ticket yet, we’ll get in touch to communicate next steps.

When will the early access programs start?

Dates are subject to change. We will continue to update this post with the most up-to-date timeline.

1. Automated app migrations: Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant: Live

2. Jira cloud to cloud migrations: Live

3. Automated app migrations: Jira Cloud Migration Assistant: Live
  4. Jira Service Management migrations: Live
  5. Bitbucket Cloud Migration Assistant: Live

6. Advanced Roadmap migrations: early September

Who’s eligible to participate?

We’ll help customers who sign up determine if they’re eligible to participate, so if you’re interested, we encourage you to sign-up!

• You’re currently migrating or planning to migrate to cloud

• You’re comfortable installing, troubleshooting and using software that is still in Beta

• You are migrating the products or apps that we are building tooling for - eligibility determined by the program you sign up for (i.e. Confluence apps, JSW apps, JSW cloud, JSM, Advanced Roadmaps, or Bitbucket)

What are the benefits of participating?

You’ll get early access to migration tooling features that can make cloud migrations easier and quicker. Your requirements will also have a big influence on how Atlassian will develop the functionality needed to solve any challenges encountered during the early access program.

Throughout the program, you’ll have access to support from Atlassian. We’ll be maintaining a dedicated content space with the information you’ll need. The space will be monitored, so if you have feedback or questions on the documentation, you can respond directly within the space.

What’s required of participants?

We'll be asking participants for feedback on the migration capabilities and any opportunities for improvement. This feedback will help us understand customer needs and how we can make these capabilities even better before we roll them out widely to all customers.

You’ll be able to deliver feedback through the same Jira MOVE ticket that we use to send you updates and instructions for activating the feature flags.

If you have any questions about these programs, please comment below and we’ll get your questions answered. If you’d like to sign up for one of our early access programs, please complete this form: go.atlassian.com/appmigrationseap

Best,

Partha Kamal

Head of Cloud Migrations, Atlassian

22 comments

Comment

Hamdy Atakora February 23, 2021

Finally. Been waiting for this 

1. Jira Software cloud to cloud migrations

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2021

This is great. Thank you for this, Atlassian and @Partha ... We are planning a migration at the moment. I have a few questions:

- Will it be possible to test with the EAP on a developer instance to another developer instance (http://go.atlassian.com/cloud-dev)?

- And with the program, is there a guarentee of sorts to revert data or migrations if some bigger issues are picked up?

I may have a million more questions :D

Thank you again

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2021

Do you have any info to share with Partners on these EAPs? They seem like they can impact ongoing migration projects.

Like Ryan Goodwin likes this
Dylan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

Hi @Yatish Madhav

Will it be possible to test with the EAP on a developer instance to another developer instance

Not at this stage, I'd suggest spinning up a few evaluation sites in production as this means you'll be on the most recent and stable release of the EAP feature. 

And with the program, is there a guarentee of sorts to revert data or migrations if some bigger issues are picked up?

As these features are in early access, we aren't recommending they be used to perform production migrations yet. Whilst we've done our own internal testing, we can't always predict how they'll perform out in the wild. We'll do our best to get you up and running if things do go wrong, but we strongly encourage testing with a clone or copy with your data where possible.

If you run into any issues or have any more questions, just reach out to our support team here!

Like Francesco Zitelli likes this
Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2021

Hi @Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority Yes! We're asking all those interested in getting more info on the EAPs to fill out the survey, that way we' can create a MOVE ticket for you to use as a back and forth on questions and feedback with our Product and Support teams. The MOVE ticket will also include a link to documentation for each EAP as that documentation becomes available. We've also asked all customers participating to indicate whether they're working with a partner. 

If you'd like additional info, please feel free to email me at ehowden@atlassian.com!

Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 8, 2021

Can you advise if this problem available to Partners though the portal or we can just signup using the form above?

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
April 8, 2021

Hi @Yevgen Lasman ! You can feel free to sign up using the form above and our Support team will create a MOVE support ticket for you that we'll use to deliver documentation, instructions, and gather feedback.

If you have any problems with the form or specific questions or feedback you'd like to deliver, you can also email me at ehowden@atlassian.com

Like Yevgen Lasman likes this
abhishek_sharma03
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

Hi @Partha , Trust you and your family are keeping well. 

I am from Nagarro Software and we met in a community event held in our office premise in Feb 2020. We are planning to migrate selective projects from a server Jira instance to a fresh cloud site for our client. They just use one app - X-ray. They have a lot of app data in their server instance and wish to migrate all of that to cloud. When can we get our hand on the version of Atlassian Migration Assistant which supports X-ray migration to cloud ?

BR

Abhishek

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2021

Hi @abhishek_sharma03  ! Have you signed up for our Jira app migrations early access program? We'll be creating MOVE tickets and delivering instructions for turning on the automated app migration feature for Jira this month. If you haven't already done so, please fill out this form: http://go.atlassian.com/appmigrationseap

abhishek_sharma03
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2021

Yes @Elizabeth Howden I have signed up already.

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
May 4, 2021

@abhishek_sharma03 Awesome! Be on the lookout for a MOVE support ticket that will include links to documentation and instructions. The MOVE ticket will also be the best way to communicate with the support and Product teams during the program.

Kevin Decker May 19, 2021

Hi there - we have a renewal for our support coming up at the end of June but want to move to cloud, ideally we need to use the migration tool. Is this at all possible? We’ve signed up for the EAP already but haven’t heard anything 

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2021

Hi @Kevin Decker - apologies for the delay! Which EAP did you sign up for? The team is creating MOVE (Support) tickets for customers who signed up closer to EAP launch.

Doug Smith June 28, 2021

Is Cloud to Cloud already available?

I assumed, yes.  But this seems to indicate cloud to cloud is just now being developed....

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2021

Hi @Doug Smith 

Currently, merging multiple sites and importing single projects from another cloud site are not supported features in Jira Cloud. However, Jira cloud to cloud migrations are actively being worked on. Cloud to cloud is currently in EAP for smaller migrations (<250 users), with roll-out for larger EAP customers coming soon.

Today, a few workarounds do exist:

Merge in a Jira Server instance: Using this method, you can combine entire sites or import only particular projects from one Jira Cloud site to another. It involves taking backups from all of your Jira Cloud sites, merging them through a temporary Jira Server instance, and then importing them back to your destination Jira Cloud site. This method is best when you have the knowledge and experience of installing and setting up a server application, but it can be very complex and time consuming. Users and any data associated with Jira apps is not migrated. You can view the step-by-step outline here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-jira-server-instances-244352137.html

Jira Cloud Migration Assistant: Similar to merging sites on a temporary Jira Server instance, you can restore a backup of the source Jira Cloud site onto a temporary Jira Server and then use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to migrate the projects into the destination Jira Cloud site. Currently, the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant does not support Jira Service Management.

Jira Cloud CSV import: A Jira Cloud CSV import is the simpler of these options but it migrates the least amount of data. A big limitation is that the projects themselves are not migrated, only the issues, so the projects will need to be recreated and configured ahead of time. Issue history and issue rank are lost and additional steps are needed to import attachments, sprints and versions. App data and users are not migrated.

Sandhya Kumari September 21, 2021

@Elizabeth HowdenWe are in the process of migrating a Jira cloud instance to another jira cloud instance. When I try to import jira cloud instance backup on Jira server instance, it says "you have not entered a license" and when I try to sign up for trial license, its not letting me since atlassian has stopped selling new licenses. So what are my options to migrate jira cloud instance? Thanks for all your help.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
September 29, 2021

Hi @Sandhya Kumari ,

Although you can no longer get a Jira Server license, you can use a Jira Data Center trial for the purposes of a Cloud to Cloud migration.

To generate a Jira Data Center evaluation license:

1. Visit https://my.atlassian.com/license/evaluation
  2. Select Jira Software from the Product dropdown menu
  3. Select Data Center as the license type
  4. Paste the Server ID from your current on-premise Server instance that you've spun up
  5. Click the Generate License button
  6. You can now access the trial license (this will be accessible at my.atlassian.com if you need to refer to it later). Copy and paste the license key into the Jira Server instance's setup wizard, or the Versions and licenses page in Jira if the application is already running.
  7. Jira Server will automatically convert to a single-node Jira Data Center instance and let you proceed. You do not need to configure a cluster for the purposes of doing a Cloud to Cloud migration. The Data Center evaluation license will allow you to use the Jira on-premise instance for 30 days.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Like Sandhya Kumari likes this
Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2021

@Elizabeth Howden can Atlassian partners participate in the EAP? I ask because we currently have several clients that could use the cloud-to-cloud migration---saves on cost, time and effort. Let me know if this is possible or not. If not, we are very familiar with the current process and will proceed down that avenue.

cc: @Partha 

Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

@Partha I am going to be merging two cloud instances to one THIS year (two months left).

Please add me. I know it is all booked

BTW Anyone has experience migration Zephyr data as well?

Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2021

@Partha it would be nice if I could be added to the EAP for Jira and Confluence cloud-to-cloud migrations as I am in the middle of a migration that meets this need. I can see that the JCMA for C2C has been rolled out in the instances I am currently working with, but it would be nice to have access to ask questions.

For example, this client has acquired another company that has its own cloud instance for Jira/Confluence. However, it appears in order to use the C2C tools that the acquired instance must be migrated to acquiring company's organization in Access---otherwise the tool cannot see the source instance. It would be nice to know if 1) this is in fact a step in the C2C process and 2) what the impacts would be since the source instance is in fact a "production" instance.

If you'd like you can reach out to me directly. Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2021

Hi @Alexey Paveliev @Lorenzo Phillips Apologies for the delay - just wanted to be sure you saw the latest Community announcement about cloud-to-cloud migration for Jira. Now that the feature is in Public Beta, it's being rolled out to all Jira Cloud sites and will be available on all Jira Cloud sites. 

For more info about cloud-to-cloud, you can also visit the Atlassian support documentation.

Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2021

@Elizabeth Howden thanks for following up. I went ahead and completed the migrations last weekend using the "ole school" method. But we have tested the C2C JCMA in our own environment and it works very well so it is nice to know that we can save time and effort around creating server-based backups, downloading them, restoring them into Jira Server/DC, and then use JCMA to migrate the projects. Although that may cut into migration revenues--Lol. :)

Is there a place where I can track the C2C migration efforts of the marketplace vendors? I know many of them are still playing catchup on the Server/DC data migration side. I also know that Altassian maintains a page that shows which vendors are ready with their data migrations from Server/DC to Cloud. So just wondering if there was a place that we can quickly check which vendors are C2C ready. If not, no worries--just thought I would ask.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events